Topic

Core out CCF pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Core out CCF pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Has anyone every cored out a CCF pad? I was thinking about trying this on one of the cheap blue foam pads. Maybe a grid of 1 inch holes. Pad would be used for summer time where heat loss is less of a concern.

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

This is the closest thing I've seen.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Scroll down in the left hand menu and click on the Insulated Hammock under the 'Sleeping' category.

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

I have seen this done but with other purposes in mind. Coring out a couple of blue foam CCF pads then sandwiching them between layers of 2 solid foam pads. This was done in an attempt to increase cushioning power and maintain high 'R' value, without dramatically increasing weight. The pad was laid in the bottom of pulka.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

The sharp tube poker was exactly what I was thinking of. Anyway I just spend waaaay to much time drawing a dot grid on my pad. I sharpened a brass tube, then stuck the tube in my hand drill. a 1×1 inch grid of 3/16th holes bought me .2oz hahah! well it was theraputic if anything.

O'well

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I've been thinking about trying a similar thing. I was going to try cutting out disks, maybe 1" in diameter, at the intersections of a grid, and then gluing them back on to make a pad twice as thick (and hopefully twice as comfortable) without much added weight. it would reduce the insulation value however.

You might want to try using bigger holes. I think they could be much larger than you used without detracting too much from the overall comfort and insulation.

-Will

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Interesting idea. Would you put the side with the foam glued to it twards the ground? You should do squares and only cut 3 sides and the 4th side half way through. then you could fold the square over to the other side of the pad and glue it down. That way the foam is still partially attached and you aren't relying on glue only to keep them attached.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools