Topic

ideas for 2 person, 4 season, 4 pole tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ideas for 2 person, 4 season, 4 pole tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

The impending ski season here has got me thinking about lightweight 4 season tents. It seems that alot of these tents utilise 1 – 2 ski poles, however I haven't been able to find any tents which utilise the 4 poles you are likely to have when you have 2 people ski touring.

The only ideas that I have are to make a tunnel tent using two arches formed by 2 sets of ski poles. I have added a particularly amatuer sketch of what one may look like (the red sections represent poles, the black sections cord/rope, the blue lines the material – while the blue lines between the poles represent a component to join the poles). This way you are getting an extremely rigid tent without the use of any poles.

dodgy representation of a 4 pole tent

In terms of using the ski poles to make a 4 season tent in this way, using a system similar to that of the aarn pacer tents (which I find work really well) may do the trick, however something would be needed to cut out some weight (they have a heavy metal pole right in the centre [see below])

aarn pacer 1

Anyone have any other ideas, or alternatively know of something akin to this?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I really like the idea here. I agree that you should use all of the gear you have to make the shelter as spacious as possible. In the picture, are the poles different heights? I've never been skiing before, but I was under the impression ski poles are fixed length normally. So are they just tilted at different angles? Do you think you would make that a front entrance two person shelter?

As for other ideas, I think I have heard of people setting up two person pyramids before using four poles. You lash two poles together to give greater height and put them in an inverted V position. It should give the pyramid shape more space inside. I'm planning on making something like that in the nearish future, so I hope it works out that way at least.

ziff house

@mrultralite

job is already done ,take a look at the ideas Samuel Farington & Daryl have posted.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback

Chris: I usually take 2 section ski poles so I can decrease the length if telemarking down a big hill, however most ski poles are a single section. I did make the poles 2 different sizes with the idea of creating extra space whilst keeping a steep angle, however it would probably be much easier to get the poles to meet in the centre, especially if you used pole extenders again to provide more living space. Indeed I was thinking about making it a 2 person front entry tent.

Also I like the idea of latching the 2 poles together. Would it be possible to make 2 arches within a pyramid (with the help of extenders)?

Chris and Ziff: I thought others probably would have had this idea long before me but I couldn't find many threads on it. Would either of you happen to have the links to these?

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools