Topic

MYOG Tyvek bandolier pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Tyvek bandolier pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

This nothing big or exciting but is pretty light. The pack is made out of "hard" tyvek, MLD spectra cord, and some cord locks. I taped the whole pack with tyvek tape and was able to make it in less than 2 hours. The finial weight is 3oz. And has about 1400 cubic inches.Pic of the back of the pack.
    Shoulder strap

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dustin, did you have a specific payload in mind for that pack?

When I first glanced at the photos, I saw the orange cord and thought "That would never be comfortable." Then I saw the white strap for shoulder contact.

That might be good as a carry bag for a climbing rope.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice and simple Dustin!

What are the dimensions?

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

How strong do you think the tape construction is? I heard that it can be quite strong stuff if done right. Is your base weight around 5lbs or so?

And I totally love the pack too!

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I made this pack for my sub 2 pounds trip to sipsey wilderness later this month, but will use it for my sub 5 pound trips as I find it very comfortable.
    @D- I think that the tyvek tape will be as strong as sewing it (maybe even stronger than sewing).
    @ Todd-It is 23" high by 9" wide.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Dustin can you give us an update on how your pack is performing? Have you also tried it out on your trip already?

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

31g 1.1 oz
    I did this one in spinntex 1.1 oz, but not as a main pack , we were hiking in Greenland, with up to 2 weeks food carried in an exos 58.
    I was using it for my sleeping bag or for day hikes, "peak" bagging , fishing days, in the plane etc…, it was confortable up to 2-3kg , 4-6lb.
    When testing i prefered a narrower and longer pack it didnt slip as much than a shorter pack, the pack was much more confortable if used full.

sac

sac 2

sac 3

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Looking good Fred!

Overall, how'd you like useing it?

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

These remind me of my survival trips when I rolled a few items in a wool blanket and tied it in a long roll as described in this link.
    http://www.3rdalabama.org/blanket_roll.htm

Has anyone been packing with their quilts and tarps like this?
    It has the advantage of balancing the load front to back.
    It is also quite airy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools