Topic

idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ziff house

@mrultralite

?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Packraft?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ziff,

Did you make that? Cuben?

Pillow, part of an air mattress, lumbar pack support, airline neck pillow, cod piece pad, foot elevator?

Daryl

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

is definitely an unfair teaser!

MORE INFO PLEASE =)!

ziff house

@mrultralite

Yes, cuben .69 stuff, got the air valve in alright, all C3, still chasing small leaks on the ends, got to figure a surefire way there. Definitely thinking about internal sponsons for my kayak, next winter rebuild. Heavier cuben would work better. Ya, packraft, scary but light, would be way cool, worry about puncture resistance, need efficient construction methods or speed weeks chasing leaks.
    Also, uberlight rowing cat?!

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

"Definitely thinking about internal sponsons for my kayak" — interesting!

Keep us updated. I'm always interested to see how you integrate cuben to kayaking. How's the sock coming along?

roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

Locale: san fernando valley

It looks like a pillow!!!

ziff house

@mrultralite

sea sock went great, kind of assembled itself, the trick was to just cut a strip, fold it over the coaming with the cord, once that was in place i could match the inner sock [made on a form] to it. Even made a spray skirt, just need zipper.

Roberto, think scale! what works on the small works on the big, AND shape, how about i fill them with helium?

ziff house

@mrultralite

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ziff,

If it wasn't for your hand in the picture I wouldn't have known the dimensions. One of my mental images made the inflated balloon 10 feet long.

Hmmmm, 10 foot long inflated balloon? Could one spend a warm night in one and have plenty of oxygen? How did the iron lungs work for polio victims in the 50s? I know the head was out. Could one have one of these keeping them warm and dry from the neck on down and then keep their head dry with closed cell foam and the bugs off with a little mosquito netting? What would be the risks and benefits? (Bear bites man's head off in sleeping balloon test.)

Daryl

ziff house

@mrultralite

sounds like a human corn-dog! got the leaks fixed with clear coat, now whats the lifting power of helium?

James Cavan

@jamescavan

Locale: UK

How about using a longer thinner one as a tent support – I have no idea what psi cuben fibre or the bonding tapes can withstand so it might be unrealistic.

Kinda like the nemo tents … but SUL!

http://www.nemoequipment.com/airsupported-technology

ziff house

@mrultralite

great idea, but bloody hell i can't afford all these projects. Would work fine, haven't pressure tested this thing yet, i like the thing, but seems very strong. For a Nemo type tent ,no curves though [maybe if you wound around a disposible inner tube maybe ,big PITA].

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools