Topic

Steripen users advise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen users advise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

I am thinking about trying out a Steripen. There is usually plenty of water where I hike. I'm thinking I can carry less water in my pack if I can quickly treat water on the go (opposed to chemical treatment, where I always have 1L to drink and 1L "in treatment").

Which model of Steripen do you prefer and why?

Any problems with malfunctions in the field?

Also, more specifically, Opti users do you know if this device will work on rechargeable RCR123A batteries? RCR123A is a lithium rechargeable counterpart to the CR123.

I have been trying to purge anything mechanical from my kit, even zippers. I don't like fussing with anything or worrying about something not working. However, the advantages and convenience of the Steripen are very attractive. Off trail I'm a gizmo geek, am I letting my love for gizmos cloud my logic on the practicality of this device?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I use AW brand RCR123a from lighthound.com in my Opti. Very highly recommended. You definitely need high quality batteries for the Steripen, especially if you're using rechargeables. AW has a reputation as the best rechargeable you can buy. Lighthound is a great place to order from.
    http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

If you're not in too much of a hurry, Meridian Design has redesigned their mUV product. I had one of the old ones that stopped working when I bounced it off a shelter floor along the AT. They were generous enough to ship me one of the new models. Here's what I like about it:

– It charges via USB so any solar charger will work
    – It fits in a Platypus for easy treatment
    – 80 seconds and you're able to chug that liter of water

I'll be doing a full review of it as soon as they make it available for sale. The old mUV sold for $49 making it quite competitive. I'm not sure of the pricing of the new model but I'm guessing it won't be signifcantly different.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I have used my Journey quite a bit and couldn't be happier.

I had the Adventurer prior, but got the Journey for $49 w/ funnel adapter, prefilter, free 1L Nalgene, etc when it first came out on Amazon….so I couldn't pass it up. Sold the Adventurer to a friend.

What I like better about the Journey is the rubber "gasket" below the bulb – it lets the user put it directly in the bottle (creating a seal) and turn the bottle upside down to treat the water – no dangling the Adventurer in the water while barely hanging on. It's just more convenient for me – although it is a little heavier. the adapter makes it work with most bottles, too.

And the LED screen is nice.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

I saw the mUV on Amazon. Looked delicate. I was honestly waiting for an UV-C LED based unit to emerge, but I guess it isn't there yet. I'd be really interested in the new mUV if it fits in a Platty opening. Don't suppose you could post any pics of that could you?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I've had the Adventurer Opti over a year. Used it on a week long trek last Summer. No problems. I use my cook pot (sul 1100) when I zap the water.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

So the Adventurer Opti seems to be the Steripen flavor of choice for everyone?

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Use it. Like it. Love it. Definitely the UV machine of choice.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

The opti worked a little more reliably in my hands than the older sensor style Adventurer.

Still, for use with small mouthed bottles, the Journey is my steripen model of choice.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

It is mine. I use a 2L platy cut off a couple of inches above the 1L line as my scoop and treat container. Weighs next to nothing and will scoop where plastic bottles won't. It'll also stand on its own.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I'm still carrying the Steripen Classic because it allows me to use AA batteries that I can charge on the trail during longer outings. That is of course relatively heavy and I'm waiting for the Steripen Freedom that can be charged via USB. It is supposed to come out this summer/fall – so too late for my JMT hike …

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

As you can see from the photo below, the mUV fits perfectly in a Platypus neck – sealing it so that no water escapes. The bulb doesn't extend very far into the bladder but I shake and swirl it for the 80 seconds the cycle takes and feel confident that I'm getting any of the buggers suspended in the water.

Using the mUV with a Platypus

I hope this helps.

Matthew Swierkowski

@berserker

Locale: Southeast

I haven't used any of the previous models, only the opti. I love it. Went to it from using filters and chemicals. I don't have enough field experience with it to comment on issues (I've only used it on like 4 – 5 weekend trips thus far). I have not had a malfunction yet for what it's worth.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Thanks fo the pic of the mUV. That helps me visualize.

So it looks like the Steripen Travler mini and Opti are the same thing. The Journey however, looks like it has a tapered bung around the base of the lamp. Does this marry up to a platypus? But the Journey is about 1oz heavier than the Opti. Only advantage of the journey 1oz penalty is if it works with a platty opening. Anyone know if this works?

I like platty scoop idea. But I'm curious as to why you would cut the bottom off and not the top? The top seems to be the heavier part of the platty. Plus if you cut the top off you have the pleated bottom and more capacity.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

It works fine with the platy and soda bottles.
    steripen_did_you_know

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I used the Opti for about 1300 miles of the PCT last summer. It worked flawlessly the entire time, and the batteries lasted a lot longer than I expected (on average, about 2 weeks for me), even without removing the batteries from the case.

I used to have the regular Adventurer model. It would frequently refuse to run all of its cycle when I used it in cold and/or very clean (lacking in minerals) water. Granted, this is the sort of water that is least likely to have pathogens, but it still bothered me that I couldn't get it to work consistently. The Opti solved those problems.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

I dig the mUV. It's the lightest and it works with the platy. Though it does not seem to be the popular choice. Is there any reason?

bottle

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I was an early adopter. It works, that is all I can say about it.
    The light element is not large. It requires an extra battery for all but day trips.
    The cover does not seal well. The leads can be subject to breaking at odd times.
    I quit using it and got an adventurer.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Meridian Design never seemed to get their stuff into general retail channels, which probably explains their limited presence in the marketplace.

I tested the mUV for BGT and while I really liked it, I had three cease to function due to battery failure. Hopefully they've gotten it sorted out.

Anybody know what happened to the Camelbak "All Clear" version of the UV Aquastar?

Cheers,

Rick

Robert Atwood
    Spectator

@courtright

Locale: Sierras

I just got a Journey and used it last weekend on a group trip with 15 people and all weekend I had filter/chemical users borrowing it. It worked flawlessly and was extremely convenient on our trip where we were never far from water. The ability to use it in small mouth containers is also great, even though it comes with a 1oz weight increase over the Opti.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Sounds like the Journey is the ticket. I pretty much only use platy and recycled water bottles. I could treat in my pot then transfer, but not having to do this may be worth 1oz of weight.

Anyone seen any bargins on the Journey or Opti recently? I may post a WTB on Gear Swap, see if I get any nibbles. I saw a few Classics go up but I'm not interested in an 8oz gizmo, plus AA batteries can't last too long with that high output lamp. Anyway, I have a bung load of RCR123A LiFePo batteries for another toy I use.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

$65 for the Opti at REI starting on the 20th.

Eric Palumbo

@palumbo

Locale: Rocky Mountains

"Anyone seen any bargins on the Journey or Opti recently?"

REI is having a member's sale starting the 19th, includes a coupon for 20% off one regularly priced item. I intend for the Journey to be my item as well.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

How does one become an REI member?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools