Topic

HELP! Where to: Backpack N. Georgia/Tenn Border

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports HELP! Where to: Backpack N. Georgia/Tenn Border

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jack Page

@tacomajack09

Locale: Nature

Hello Campers!

I'm going down to ATL this weekend to visit my parents and on the way back up I want to go camping. Anybody know of any great primitive spots close to a stream/creek/river in the North Georgia Mountains or near the Tenn/Ga border? Looking for a secluded spot, to get away from everyone. Wouldn't mind doing some fishing while camping out either.

Places I've found:
    Jacks River Falls
    Bear Creek
    Raven Cliff Falls

I've never been to any of these so any trip reports to those areas would be great!

Does anybody else find it hard locating information on disperse camping in certain areas? I can find all kinds of info on RV camping, but its a long shot for those who want to get away.

Thank you for the help! & Happy Camping!

Jack

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

lakeshore trail area is nice right near fontana dam/bryson city. pretty secluded and great fishing. you could park at the dam and walk the lakeshore trail back towards the old mining town of proctor…

also panther creek area is pretty cool in north georgia. lots of people camp out by the falls, but there might be some good spots open on the rather large creek on your way to the falls or right after.

My fav place in the southeast is shining rock wilderness though, about 3.5 hours outside of atl near asheville. great sites but no water as it is mostly ridges and elevation of 5-6k feet

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Starr Mountain in the Lost Corral Recreation Area, overlooking the Hiawassee River has some nice secluded spots. Follow one of the drainage creeks heading north from the gravel road. Nice south facing cliff lines abound / camp in the woods for greater seclusion. There is decent rock climbing, swimming holes, boating, and fishing right there also.

http://www.telliquah.com/Starr.htm

http://tennessee.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,2,fid,1646936,n,lost%20corral%20recreation%20area.cfm

Jack Page

@tacomajack09

Thank you for the replies! I'm going to look into these areas. I've read about the Panther Creek Trail, may have to check that out. Thank you for the links as well, very helpful!

Happy Camping!

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

+1 For Panther Creek. I just camped on top of the falls 2 weekends ago with some fellow BLPers. There are plenty more fine camping areas in the along the Conasauga river on the way in and throughout the whole Cohutta wilderness in general too. Here's my Facebook TR for that trip:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/set=a.1989453144090.2125252.1476198643&l=ba889df5d1

Jack Page

@tacomajack09

From Chattanooga, how do you get to the Panther Creek Trail head?

Thank you for the link, but for some reason its not working?? Not sure whats happening, it loads blank though? Maybe your privacy settings…

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/32355

that link will give you the gps coordinates of the trailhead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools