Topic

The Right and Wrong Sides of Tyvek?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear The Right and Wrong Sides of Tyvek?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Tyvek house wrap has the manufacturer's name and the product's name printed on the side that is usually faced outwards on new construction housing. I'm quite sure that one of the reasons is naturally for advertising. But am I under the wrong assumption that this house wrap has an "inside" and an "outside" that needs to be placed correctly for the product to perform its function properly?

Doesn't Tyvek repel moisture on one side and allow moisture to escape or pass through from the other side?

Thanks for the anticipated input.

Party On,

Newton

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

I may be wrong but its my understanding that there is no difference which way moisture will travel in tyvek. You can put the logo printed side on the inside and it would breath the same as logo printed side on the outside.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=525

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Cesar,

It seems that you are correct. I did a little internet detective work and came up with this link and information.

http://boards.hgtvpro.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9001020091/m/8951028452

"…calling Tyvek just to be sure and they said the house wrap is "non-directional," so it can be installed anyway you want".

I found this link and info by googling the question, "is tyvek house wrap directional". The above partial quote is from a message board with the header / question for discussion, " House wrap installation, print toward house ok"?

Thanks for the link to the hammock forum.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools