Topic

MSR Carbon Reflex 3 Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable MSR Carbon Reflex 3 Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

MSR Carbon Reflex 3 Tent Review

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Would be even nicer if it was a bit lighter. Nice review Ray.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

What is the purpose of these reviews?
    If it is to decide whether a tent is suitable as a long term purchase this review falls way short.

You should be testing this tent on hikes where there are several days continuous rain and over multiple tips. In addition, add some real strong winds for good measure. It seems that any tent would have performed well in the conditions mentioned in this review.

Reviews like this are pretty worthless for a long term purchase.

This is more like a "first opinion" than a proper review.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice review and nice tent. People wanting a true 3 person tent should be very happy with this tent. I have the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 which is much lighter (~3.4 lbs) but the CR3 looks a lot bigger. The Fly Creek UL3 is a great choice for two people looking for a bit more elbow room, but the CR3 looks great for hosting 3 actual people.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Could you please list the BPL Measured Height?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Peter:

Murphy's 14th Law of Backpacking states that if you are properly prepared for the worst Mother Nature can throw at you, she'll be on vacation at the time and you'll have nothing but sunshine and fair temperatures.

The corollary states that if you cut corners for the sake of saving weight – well, Mother Nature can be a real female canine and as they say, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Besides, would your kids want to go out in the yucky rain and wind that keeps them inside the tent with (YUCK) Dad all the time?

At least they got in a good wind and bug test.

I thought the review was well done. You would probably prefer the 3 part reviews that are standard at BackPackGearTest.com as they cover a much longer time frame and involve multiple outings……….but without the kids.

Warren
    BPL Member

@icensnow

Locale: New England, USA

Thanks Ray, a great review. I've been looking at 3p backpacking tents and this review is a big help in figuring out which way to go.

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

Ray –

Did you ever get a chance to pitch it in the rain? We're looking for a tent to share with the kids, too – but I lean toward external-pole (or sleeved-pole) models that keep the inner dry if you have to pitch when precipitation is falling.

How would you compare this to the Tarptent Hogback (4-person, but not dissimilar in layout)?

Thanks for the helpful review,
    Steve

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Paul, the height is as stated by MSR.

Steve, I plan to be using the Hogback this summer with the kids but at first glance I would say the Hogback has more room, certainly more area.

No we never got to use it in any rain to speak of, sorry. I have reviews of rain gear that have barely seen any rain on hold. I can't control that Peter, you may need to talk to the Big Guy… ;-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools