Topic

Morning Dew on the JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I will be doing my SOBO JMT trip in late August this year. Being from Western Washington and having most of my backcountry experience in this cool, wet state, my expereinces with cowboy camping is always waking up with a bit of a wet bag from the dew.

My question is, will I have the same experience when I cowboy camp this summer in the Sierra? My hunch is you will all tell me the dry air will keep me mostly dry most mornings (of course assuming clear and rain free nights).

Can anyone let me know what I may expect in the way of morning moisture?

Thanks!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Kris,

we started last summer on July 24th on our three week SOBO JMT hike. During these three weeks we used our tents twice – otherwise we cowboy camped.

Due to our site selection close to water – we like to fish – we had from time to time some dew on our sleeping bags in the mornings. But it was no problem for us, since we started pretty late in the mornings (mainly because my teenage sons like to sleep in) and our sleeping bags got every morning plenty of time to dry.

Enjoy your hike!

Manfred

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I've definitely had morning dew in the Sierras. Nice thing is, you can pack your bag damp, bust it out at lunch, and it dries in 5 minutes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Can anyone let me know what I may expect in the way of morning moisture?"

A lot depends on where you camp. If you stay away from water and don't camp on valley floors or in forested areas, you'll have a better chance of avoiding morning dew, along with bugs, people, AND bears.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If you stay away from water and don't camp on valley floors or in forested areas, you'll have a better chance of avoiding morning dew, along with bugs, people, AND bears."

No bears? What would be the fun in that?

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools