Topic

Securing the insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Securing the insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Erich Langner

@eclassic

i'm trying to make a quilt from primaloft one insulation but i'm unsure of how to secure the insulation.

i bought another length of scrim to wrap around the insulation before i sew it to the nylon but i don't want to make this thing too heavy. and i don't know that another bit of fabric will help that much.

what the best way to secure insulation? should i line it with scrim and quilt it before sandwiching it between the shell, or should i quilt it into the nylon? what about just using the insulation and nylon without the extra fabric and just quilt them together after sewing?

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

I'm sure someone with far more experience will come along and confirm or deny this.

I was always under the impression that you could quilt it directly to the nylon and do away with the scrim. I seem to remember someone using newspaper to help it feed through the sewing machine and then carefully pulling the newspaper off the stitching.

My understanding is that the scrim is in case you don't want the quilting to appear on the outer fabric. Meaning you can quilt to the scrim then sew the piece plus scrim around the edges to the fabric to fix it.

But as I said I may have come to false conclusions.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Don't use scrim, it weighs extra

You can sew through the insulation and the inner lining, or through outer/insulation/inner.

You want to sew all the way around the perimeter, close to the edge, or the insulation will shift and there will be bare spots

I think with Primaloft One, you also need to do quilting every 6 inches by 6 inches – or something like that.

With Apex you don't need to do the quilting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools