Topic

Which weighs more for CF… bonded or sewn + seam sealing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which weighs more for CF… bonded or sewn + seam sealing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

For the exact same Cuben Fiber shelter, which weighs more?

Bonded seams or sewn seams w/ seam sealer?

Also, is one found to be stronger? (with good workmanship of course)

Thanks,

Bryce

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Bryce,

You're asking for what we epidemiologists call the "counterfactual". Since one can't make exactly the same shelter twice with different kinds of seams and compare the weight (because the small difference in seam weight will get lost in the large variability in shelter weight), you won't get any quantitative responses to your question. You'll get differing opinions.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that bonding is both stronger and lighter. When you bond, you add an extremely thin film of adhesive between smooth layers of mylar. When you seam seal after sewing, you add a comparatively large amount of adhesive to the irregular, perforated surface of a sewn seam. So sewing adds the weight of thread plus a relatively large amount of glue, while bonding adds only the weight of a small amount of glue.

As far as strength is concerned, I'd recommend reading the many posts in these forums about that. I think there is a growing consensus that bonding (done well) is much stronger than sewing, but others might disagree.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Thanks Colin for humoring me.

I posted too soon and only read a couple of very old BPL posts on the subject it seems. Back then people were more inconclusive.

Bonded seams it is!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Bonded for most seams works really well. In high high peel areas or places that need extra reinforcement you will need to bond then sew with a long stitch.. Adhesive choice is another huge issue. Best of Luck.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Here's a thread worth a visit. List some more here as you find them.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20093

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools