Topic

Horizon reached?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Horizon reached?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

“When compared to my trad gear, my UL and SUL gear tends to be cheaper (even much cheaper). “

True in some aspects, Scott, but I think the dreaded ‘Why did I buy everything two or three times?” cycle that so many must go through before seeing the ‘light’ is counterproductive to the backpacking community as a whole (though maybe not the manufacturers profiting from this cycle). The sport of backpacking would grow exponentially if all of its adherents had more exposure to the lessons that (comparatively) few have learned. It’s hard to argue against lighter=better.

It would be great if one could buy a Shires Tarptent for the same price of a Kelty backpacking tent. Now I know that many, many factors go into the why those two ends of the spectrum exist but my point is I feel better, lighter gear is tends to be priced above mass market items due to the lack of awareness and demand for such items. Maybe the backpacking community has much farther to go in this regard than we do in getting to that 5 pound, four season pack weight.

That being said I do salute the crew of Backpacking Light for their continued efforts in spreading the word, whether it is through this website, clinics for NOLS and BSA, or what have you.

As an aside, my statements are in no way intended as a criticism of all the cottage industry folks out there working hard to make us great products. I know they’re not getting rich and they deserve every penny they earn, and then some.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I’m grooving on this discussion too. Much better response to my questions that I had hoped to see. Its great to see everyone describing why they make the decisions they do and compare that with your own thoughts. We do need discourse like this to keep the wheels moving. Its tough to get out of the gear-talk mentality sometimes when you’re parked at a PC.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Just to sum up my perspective a little further…One of the best advancements I made was moving from a 22.4 ounce Jetboil to a beercan stove. I was amazed at how light it was and how well it worked! I had already upgraded (lightened) my pack and sleeping bag 3 times over 6 years at that point…but that was the single leep that really drove home the point to not be afraid to try something. What do you have to lose??? My close friends are still afraid at most times to make a dramatic switch. I on the other hand figure the worst I will do is sell something unwanted on-line and chalk up any lost money to experience.

I do have two children under the age of 4, and so I fall into the more time planning than going mode. And as much as I love gear, and analyzing why something is a hair better than something else…I still am way more fascinated with locations. I dream of the Wind River range. I stare longingly out the airplane window at the Lake Powell area and Green River when I fly over and wonder what it would be like to be tucked into a nook…lost to society for a week, instead of on my way to a meeting. I check the Glacier webcam weekly.

So in that regard, Ryan is also spot on. Context makes the whole thing play. Where and how will I use it??? I have been thinking how fun it would be to try snowshoe backpacking…and for me that is huge. I have not wanted to try that since a miserable experience when I was 12 or 13.

And if you had not noticed…look at all of us gear heads jumping on this relatively non-gear related thread. I still will push BPL to explore beyond the main focus of gear. I appreciate that someone goes to the expo and gives us a non-commercial review…but what about a trip to the Golite factory to learn about their trials and tribs. Or a profile of the guy who started Whole Foods, who as a CEO of a highly successful retailer, takes 2 to 3 months off to thru hike? Or a pictorial of Ryan’s favorite fishing holes, complete with ultralight gear list? Or best reader trips contest. I realize these may be rather cheesy ideas, but again…continue to put it into context for and with us.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

This great thread seems to mean different things to different people, depending on how the concept of UL fits their life. Dale’s Hypermaterialism post, Miguel’s ‘Ultralight mind’ from a previous post, and these recent posts have helped me understand why UL resonates with me. After years of HeavyWeight materialism and being owned by my possessions, I made that leap that Dale talked about earlier and basically re-started my life with about 1 m3 of stuff and a new job overseas. Quit my job, sold my house, finished a divorce, etc. Without realizing it, I have been pursuing Miguel’s ultralight-mind; with some success. It might sound strange but I have similar rules for my personal relationships now as I do for my gear; no more dead weight or negative influences allowed.
    Just as the UL philosophy teaches that the lightest ‘tool’ is the knowledge in your head, in my career I have come to rely more on my knowledge than on superficial symbols of success. When I consult a client now, I use the same technique one of us might use converting a traditional backpacker to UL. I strip the clients program down to the smallest number of indivisible essential requirements for success and find the most economical (not just in $) solution, and relentlessly iterate that process until completion. It is quite an opposite approach from most consultants who pad the process with heavy jargon and procedures. And interestingly, most UL techniques I learn here have a parallel theory I can adapt to my work. (I don’t mean wearing a shadow-hoodie to my next client meeting, I mean the UL philosophies :) I apologize if I have digressed from the original theme of this thread.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I wonder how many lights would glow on a map of the USA if each perfect 5-8# baseweight kit that sits unused in a closet were to be represented by a single (lets make it LED) point of light. I agree that their is a tension between “gear” and “go”. I have nothing against lightweight gear–it lets me go and do more than I otherwise could. I would like to have more articles and features on the “go”.

Have we nearly reached the pinacle of ultralight sucess? I think for mild conditions nearly so, though I certainly see room for improvement on the durability front. In poorer conditions I think we have more room for improvement. We can clearly push the envelope in snow/sustained rain/wind/cold conditions. For example, I’d love to test out vapor barrier clothing in warmer conditions (so I could possibly use down in a temperate rainforest). Improvements in these areas would probably have carry-over to milder conditions.

I also wonder if acclimating the body to cold and really learning about microclimate/natural protective features might mean less “reserve” is needed. I am reminded about the Ojibwa indians and how they adapted to colder conditions by exposing themselves as colder temperatures arrived through fall and winter. Could we carry less with such adaptation? These are largely “training/knowledge” issues and weigh nothing.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> It would be great if one could buy a Shires Tarptent for the same price of a Kelty backpacking tent. Now I know that many, many factors go into the why those two ends of the spectrum exist but my point is I feel better, lighter gear is tends to be priced above mass market items due to the lack of awareness and demand for such items.

Here I have to strongly disagree with you. I make my own 3 and 4-season tents, and I know how much effort goes into them. The design is more complex, far more complex, than some of the very simple mass-market tents like, say, the Hubba. Those tents are DESIGNED for simple mass production first and foremost. Henry’s tents have a lot more focus on performance. To get the sort of performance I want in mine I sew mine to within 1 mm of the nominal stitch line.

The price of well made high-performance gear will always be a fair bit more than the cheap mass-market stuff. Sad, but you get what you pay for.

> ‘Why did I buy everything two or three times?” cycle
    There is a perfectly logical reason for this: your requirements have changed over time. I’ll bet that when you bought your first bit of gear you did not have UL in mind?

Moe Dog

@moedog56

“The market demand will not arise unless the consumer becomes more educated as to the benefits of carrying lighter gear. Maybe the future of ultralight hiking should lie more in the direction of education than in 0.5 ounce fabrics. When I’m out with the less intiated I know I always try to espouse why I carry the gear I do, as opposed to just quoting specs.”

Good point, Russell. My time spent here has not simply resulted in only selecting lighter gear. Most of the ‘enlightenment’ has been between my ears, thinking differently, carrying less, realizing certain things are not needed, opting for a different approach. As has been stated, there’s not much difference between 3 and 5 pounds carried. But KNOWING what you’re doing, carrying the appropriate thing, and why is so much more valuable.

My refusal to buy heavy crap from major manufacturers is my contribution to lowering demand for it. I’m not so sure simply lightening the crap is a good goal.

The interchange of ideas here in these forums has sparked a lot creativity and alternate methods. My horizon may be at the opposite point of the compass from yours… and I like that.

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

From my perspective I think I really would like to stop obsessing about gear.

I have a 1 9oz sleeping bag a 1 lb pack, all I need is a one pound shelter. With this purchase I hope I can stop the aquiring of gear and just look forward to the trip.

My gear will continue to evolve as I find new ways to use the gear I have. However the obession about a new wind shirt because it weighs 1/2 oz lighter that the one you currently have, must stop or slow down. Sometimes I feel that the thinking about gear occuies way more time and energy that any actuall trips we may take. I think I would like to put more energy and time in the planning of my next trip, than in the research of gear. Working with what you have or modifying what you have is way more productive.

For a good example look at Bill Fornshell, he makes his own gear, a way more productive use of his time and energy than waiting for the new Golite line is.

To Quote Mr. Jardine ” Go out there and give it a try. Camping with less gear requires a new attitude and a willingness to experiment until you discover what works for you.”

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools