Topic

looking for a yard or two of something cheap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear looking for a yard or two of something cheap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i would like to make a mini-frame bag for my bicycle, however i really need to practice first and make a few prototypes since im not particularly good at sewing. most of my sewing experiance comes from repairing stuff, not making it. i would like to make the final product out of something lightweight, durable, and water-resistant (maybe some dyneema x http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php )

anyways, i was wondering if there is a cheap material that kinda behaves like dyneema so that i am sewing something similar for the prototypes before i actually make the bag out of dyneema.

Thanks,
    Ted

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Any quality fabric shop will have a $1/yd bin. At the very least you can prototype some designs with it. My fabric shop actually carries parachute material in their dollar bin. I was lucky enough to find plenty of silnylon and uncoated nylon to practice on since it has a considerably different feel (slippery) than most other cheap fabrics.

I also hear that walmart has a similar dollar bin for fabric, however I've never seen any walmart in my area that sells any fabric at all, but many other areas apparently do.

Good luck!

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Try some Tyvek,
    You might even be surprised at the durability!

Greg Wheelwright
    Spectator

@gdw

You can pick up XPAC locally, Loveland, for half the price of Dyneema.
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics/XPAC-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabric
    It's slightly heavier but just as durable for your application and easier to work with. You should be able to make at least two frame packs from a yard of fabric and have extra left over.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I have a yard of 330d Cordura in the gear swap!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools