Topic

Newbie to UL (or maybe just L) 1st gear list for summer VA AT hike.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Newbie to UL (or maybe just L) 1st gear list for summer VA AT hike.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

Here is my 1st full attempt at a 4 week summer AT section hike thru central VA and MD hopefully. As a newbie I feel decent about it but really wanted to get some ideas.

I have never attached images before so here goes below. If I see it is garbled I will edit and try again.

Main questions:

What am I missing?
    Yes, I know my pack is really heavy but I like it a lot. Any other suggestions for shaving weight?

part 1part 2

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tim, here's my quick glance:

Pack cover- nix you have a liner

Dump the hydration bladder, hoes and Nalgene and you save over 1/2 a pound, add another 1 oz pep bottle instead

nix the extra briefs and use the extra shorts

nix the camp shoes

Nix the drysacks that is what the pack liner is for. You can use a lighter option for food- like a plastic grocery bag.

I'm not big on electronics in the backcountry so I'd say nix it but that is a personal thing.

good luck, enjoy

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

This isn't going to save any weight, but I alway like to carry a couple of benadryl tabs. It is nice to have for any type of allergic reaction. Might even save your life.

Jim Neal RN

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Pretty sure you've overestimated some of the weights and/or made typos. For example, a beanie won't weigh 10 oz. 2 mini Bics are only 1 oz total. Your FAK and essentials total seems high as well.

I also have an Exos 58 and like it a lot, even though my current gear is lost in it and I wish I'd bought the 46 instead. Not much weight savings with the smaller pack, though. You can ditch the lid and save ~5 oz. Strip off the ice ax toggles (reversible) and trim some straps for a couple ounces more. If you're going to carry 28-30# I think you'll be glad to have a fully framed pack.

If the Kindle really weighs 12 oz I'd nix it.

Get accurate weights on some things, drop pack cover and heavy water containers (as mentioned by other poster) and you should be able to drop below 10# base, even with the Exos.

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

Thanks for valuable comments. I have made some plans for changes. Most importantly, I have realized that my scale is fundamentally off (dam* you, Escali) so I will improve list then repost in a few days.

Look for updates, thanks for advice—hopefully can get closer to 10 # soon.

Tim

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If your are comitted to the electronics I would try to consolidate them into one device. Probably the Iphone. It can be used as both a reader and music player. This also saves on chargers. You would have to evaluate if you had enough battery power though for your usage. Also if you have the Iphone or Kindle you probably don't need the pen and paper.

The water bottles you only need enough capacity for your longest stretch between sources so those can be reduced.

I wouldn't take an emergincy blanket unless you are going to wear it around your neck as the only reason you would be without your sleeping bag or other warm clothes would be if you lost your pack. So if the E-blanket is in your pack it becomes redundent. I like e-blankets to toss in the day hike pack for peace of mind but they don't make it in my Backpack.

I also like having a high SPF chapstick and for its small weight I wouldn't give it up. Sunburnt lips aren't fun.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

NOTE:
    All the previous comments are excellent.

NIX tent and take a tarp. Save over a pound.

Mini bic weighs 0.4 oz each

NIX emergency blanket.

Get a lighter backpack!

NIX extra shorts

FOOD – Go down to 1.3 lbs / day

NIX the trash bag thing. you'll have an empty plastic bag after you eat your first meal.

NIX steri pen and go with ONLY aqua mira.

NIX all stuff sacks (except for food and stove gear) and JUST use the pack liner.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools