Topic

central and southern area bpl ers wanna cook something up for memorial??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips central and southern area bpl ers wanna cook something up for memorial??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

any central and southern area bpl ers wanna go memorial ??

i would be in for sat evening thru monday and would be hiking in late saturday

probably in the dark due to drive time will probably have my 6 yr old son with me so nothing to tretcherous or lengthy (his little legs get tired faster than mine lol)

let me know if anyones interrested im going backpacking somewhere

kevin

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

My trip to Mount Gorgonio just got canceled for Memorial Day.
    I'm interested in getting out.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

If it's east Texas-Oklamoma-Arkansas, I'm there! What area are you?

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Locale: Greater LA area

I might be interested. I was planning something for the sierras, but they just got 5 inches of snow there last night down to 7500 feet, and expect more throughout the week, so that's out. Keep me posted

kevin smith

@divr6347

would love to do a two nighter but have had a slight change of plans

i will be up for an overnighter sunday early am thru monday afternoon

anyone interrested ?? i have not picked a destination yet so any ideas are welcome

central ca location would be sweet if anyone can get away for an overnighter
    sunday into monday pm me and lets pick a spot

if not i might solo up in the reyes creek campground area on the frazier park side

let me know if anyone can get out

kevin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Hey Kevin,

There's a good chance I might be out that way this weekend with my girlfriend. We're still trying to nail down the final plans but hiking up the Piedra Blanca Trail from Reyes Creek out towards Pine Mtn Lodge or possibly even turning off and heading to Cedar Creek is something we're looking at. Road closures are wreaking havoc on a lot of the LPNF right now. On the one hand, it might mean those areas that are accessible will be more crowded with other hikers, on the other hand, it means if you're willing to put in the miles to get to the places you can't currently drive to, you can enjoy some solitude at what would otherwise be popular spots.

We'd be leaving sometime tomorrow and coming back out on Monday. I'll keep an eye out for you while I'm out there.

Cheers,

Nick

kevin smith

@divr6347

hey nick

thanks for the info unfortunatly i can t leave until sunday morning how far is it to cedar creek from reyes creek th ?? i could probably hike up and meet up with you sunday if i was pretty sure of your destination if you get a chance and have a definate route shoot me a pm and let me know i may drive up and hike in for an overnighter i would love to check out the trail from the reyes creek side although i have heard the trail has a gnarly climb on it never been on it so im not really sure of that though
    keep me posted

kevin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Hey Kevin,

Just saw your message. We headed out late yesterday afternoon and only got about 1/2 way in. This morning we woke to snow and temps about 20-30* colder than expected. Needless to say, we weren't prepared for that kind of weather and opted to can the trip and head back out this morning.

I didn't see you on the trail so I'm assuming you opted not to go?

If you get a chance, that trail is in beautiful shape right now and it looks like there should be enough water back there well into summer. Cooler temps up high make it a nice early summer alternative to the Sierras.

-N.

kevin smith

@divr6347

nick
    sorry to hear you had to get out early sounded like it would haave been an awesome trip i didn t make it out there because saturday i got a call from a relative at our mountain cabin that the weather was going south and my daughter was up there with only a pair of thongs for shoes so i had to grab her some cold weather shoes and head up there got snowed on before i got there and arrived to 3-4 inches of snow on the road luckily i haver a jeep with 4×4 and was able to drive all the way in and climb the moderate size hill (which was snowed over because no one had been up it yet that day i slid off the road at the very top but this is normal due to the angle of the road as soon as my jeep hit the dirt on the side of the road it quickly
    pulled itself back on the road and i went up the rest of the way im pretty used to doing this by now as i have done this every winter for several years when we have snow on the road

hopefully we will get some descent weather soon it will be nice to get back to the las padres for some hiking

talk to you soon
    kevin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools