Topic

NB MT 101 sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NB MT 101 sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

Locale: san fernando valley

I am considereing these shoes for backpacking so was wondering what size to get…

i am usually a 10.5 but read somewhere that i should get an 11… i just wanted to confirm that…

thanks…

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

For reference, I wear a 9.5 for everyday tennis shoes, a 10.5 for my winter footware (to accommodate for socks). I purchased NB MT101 in size 9.5 and found them too short for down hills. I got a lot of toe-jamming, which might be attributable to the minimalist structure of the shoe (e.g. my foot slid around inside easier compared to other shoes). I sold em, and plan on getting them again in size 10. So for me, I would have sized up 1/2 a size

david woods

@woodsie

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I am a real 11.5, the 12 is a great fit for me on my mt100 and mt101. I do also go to 12 in most trail shoes (montrail) though to help with toebox space. Have you considered the new MT10?

http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT10/

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

half a size should do for sizing. i wear 10.5 in barefoot shoes(trail gloves), 11 in everything else. my mt100's and mt101's are 11.5

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

I'm a 9.5D U.S. in dress shoes (an 8.5E U.K.).

However, I wear a 10.5 in the MT101s. I'm fortunate to have a running store in my community, and they're quite good about helping you find the proper fit. If possible, I'd recommend you try them on in person before buying.

roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

i don't know about the MT10's… first time i've seen them…

i am going from heavy boots to trail runners right now, and heard good things about the mt101's…

my local store has them in my size and + 1/2 a size – 10 1/2 and 11… i am going there right after work…

this store has them for 75 + taxes… and found another place online for 50 bucks… so i'll go try them on and then get them online…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hmmmm. This is new to me. The NB 100's and more recent updated 101's have all run true to size in my experience , I've owned about 5 pairs in the last 2 years and have found them to fit true to size every single time- I'm a solid size 12. Sizing up in the 101 might be fine if you intend to wear heavy weight socks, but not necessary for thin socks or none at all, the lack of structure and minimal overlay in the soft mesh upper can leave you with a sloppy ride going downhill if the fit isn't spot on. Definitely try em before you buy em.

roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

i am going in like 5 more minutes :D

christopher shive

@cms432

Locale: Along the AT in PA

My MT101's fit true to size as well. I am a 10.5 in most shoes, including other models of New Balance running/walking shoes. I have two pairs of MT101's in 10.5 and the fit is right on. I prefer to wear thin low-cut wool hiking socks with these shoes.

Chris

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

"my local store has them in my size and + 1/2 a size – 10 1/2 and 11… i am going there right after work…

this store has them for 75 + taxes… and found another place online for 50 bucks… so i'll go try them on and then get them online…"

I understand the impulse to try and save a buck or two, but if you don't throw your local store a bone, then… no more local store. I know my local running store needs all the business it can get.

And, to add insult to injury, you're using your local as your own personal try-on service without giving them your business. Something about that just ain't kosher.

David Lohrentz

@dlohrentz

Locale: Wisconsin

I normally wear 10.5, and once in a while I get 11. For the first time in my life I had to get 11.5 in the MT 101.

roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

David… actually i am buying the shoes from the place i found them cheaper (by 25 bucks)… the store is going to get their business even if i don't shop there… it does not hurt to look around and try things on, whether you buy there or not… just my opinion i guess…

on the other hand, this store makes custom insoles which i am planning on buying…

back to topic on sizing… i tried on the 10.5 and they felt good until i stood up… i had to get them 1/2 size bigger…

thanks for your help guys…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools