Topic

Geof Roes v.s. Anton Krupicka . . . Miwok

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Geof Roes v.s. Anton Krupicka . . . Miwok

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

For those who are in to ultra running at all, this is the biggest thing since, well, its big.

Roes and Krupicka will go head to head again this year at Western States 100 in June.

But this Saturday, May 7, they go head to head as a sort of warmup event,
    in the Miwok 100k.

Should be fun to follow :

Miwok Live Web Cast
    Miwok Web Site

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

They're both beasts, but from what I hear from reading Anton's blog, it sounds like he's coming off a streak of injury and bad training.

My money is on Roes for both.

What's so crazy about Roes (not to mention his ability0 is how consistently he races.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Goef Roes just raced in an ultramarathon here in Santa Barbara last weekend (4/29-4/30). 100 mile course with roughly 31,000' of elevation gain and 31,000' of elevation loss. His winning time was 16 hours 32 minutes. Wow!

The 100 milers had to contend with intense 50 mph+ winds up on the ridges Friday night.

My girlfriend ran the 50K in the same race. I got to see the last few 100 milers wrapping up their last 20 miles or so Saturday morning while helping ferry supplies amongst the aid stations.

My hat's off to all the trail runners that compete at these kinds of distances. Goef Roes seems to be on a whole other level!

article here

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Dave Mackey will be in this, in contention for the win if he's running this weekend. Mackey is older, wiser, excels off of limited training and tough as nails- he knows the Miwok course very well. He paces tremendously well at 50K and 100K distances. Not sure if Dakota Jones is running but he's prime for a win if Roes unfolds at any point during the race.

Krupicka is for sure out of Miwok, disappointing, this season was prime with both Roes and Jornet looking to rehash last years amazing WS100 showdown. I suppose if I was a betting man then my chips would have to go in on Roes for the win this weekend, that guy is such a dirty scrapper, a wolverine reincarnated as a man.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I didn't realize Krupicka was so beat up.
    According to Karl Meltzer's web site, he doesn't think either Krupicka or Roes will run Saturday (even though they're on the list).
    bummer.

So, yes, Mackey is the one to beat.

Russ Porter

@russp17

Locale: Anchorage

I don't belive Roes or Anton will be running. Anton blog has him running very little and Geoff just ran a 100 miler last Saturday. My money is on Mackey he is a great 50 mile runner. He just won American river in 5:55. Look out for Hal Koerner he is also a very good runner. Just finished second to Roes at Zane Grey 50 miler. Dakota Jones is also very fast. However, I bet Mackey wins he has the the course record of 7:53. I'm exicted for Western States should be cool to see Roes vs. Anton vs. Kilian Jornet.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I peeked at the Miwok 100 entrant list, holy crap that's a stacked race this year!

Nathan Yanko for sure is going to be top 5, he finished 4th last year and his local status works in his favor.

Ian Sharman is a speedy roadster, also can kill it at the 100M distance like he did at the flat Rocky Raccoon 100 this year setting a course record… he'll be up there somewhere, maybe even a surprise win.

No way Krupicka runs WS100 this year, not gonna happen with his blown training window. That dude is an elite,in the last 2 years he's raced when he can put it all on the line and be in contention for a win- his race finish pattern the last 4 years is pretty consistent with this, he's either owned it or blown up catastrophically (ie. Leadville '09).

As badly as anyone following the spring/summer ultramarathon season wanted to see a re-match of WS100 2010 (Killian vs. Geoff vs. Anton), it's not going to happen… unless Krupicka is just pulling everyone's leg. I secretly hope Jornet fuels properly this year at WS (actually carries a water bottle!) and sets a new record, he's a phenom.

Russ Porter

@russp17

Locale: Anchorage

Jornet seems cool, but come on cheer for the american Roes he is awesome! seems like a really layed back dude. I hope both of them run well and it comes down to the two of them and Roes sets the record!!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

"Goef Roes just raced in an ultramarathon here in Santa Barbara last weekend (4/29-4/30). 100 mile course with roughly 31,000' of elevation gain and 31,000' of elevation loss. His winning time was 16 hours 32 minutes. Wow!"

It was more like 20-22k of climbing.
    Beautiful course, yet very mild other than the last 6 miles before the 50 mile turn around.

I got the the turn around at 12:00 hours on the dot and developed a bad cough from being sick the entire week leading up to the race.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools