Topic

why is synthetic fill so popular for DIY warm weather quilts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear why is synthetic fill so popular for DIY warm weather quilts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I received my ThaiSilks order today! I didn't get the actual dimensions but the weight for 5 yds of 4.5mm silk was 4.5 oz. That works out to 0.6 oz or 17g per square yard. I'll get more precise measurements later on. Shipping was calculated at over $7 but they only charged $2.43. The coupon code worked so the total was $24.18 shipped. I'll check out Dharma Trading I order again.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Or you could buy the rectangular, synthetic fill, full length zip Eddie Bauer 50 degree bag that can be unzipped & used as a quilt, mated to to another for sharing, or used like a sleeping bag. Weight is 16 oz. Cost $22. I know it's not DIY, but it sure is cheap & easy!

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

>Or you could buy the rectangular, synthetic fill, full length zip Eddie Bauer 50 degree bag that can be unzipped & used as a quilt, mated to to another for sharing, or used like a sleeping bag. Weight is 16 oz. Cost $22. I know it's not DIY, but it sure is cheap & easy!<

Likely you get what you pay for;^)

-Mark

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'd have to agree with the Mark on getting what you pay for. Seeing as many other 40-50F cheap synth bags weight 3lbs and can cost up to $50, I'd question the EB bag.

This is before I even take into account the fact that most companies grossly exaggerate temperatures of their lower end gear…

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools