Topic

Sunglasses recommendation for wide head

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sunglasses recommendation for wide head

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hello all –

I have had mixed results with sunglass frames – I have a wider head and most of the frames seem to be made for a narrower profile.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't really need something that is incredibly specialized. Just something that is decent and works well on the trail. I have searched the internet and there are companies that make such sunglasses. However, I yearn for my wider-head brethren to chime in with recommendations and experiences….

Roundfully yours,

Dirk

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Paul H

@phsycle

Locale: Rockies

Try out some Tifosi sunglasses. Some models accomodate wider heads very well.

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

if you know your temple to temple measurement that will help. Sierra Trading Post lists temple to temple measurement on most of their sunglasses.

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

I too have the same problem with sunglasses. I've had good luck with RayBan and Smiths. I wear the classic Wayfarer for "town use" and Smith Directors for outdoor activities. Smiths are lightweight, comfortable and they have a great warranty. If you watch you can get them very reasonably.

kevin smith

@divr6347

i too have the same issue

my current pair of sunglasses have a broken arm and the frame is broken at the bottom of the lens this is like the 6 th pair i have broken inthe last two years

i was at wal mart the other daychecking out some glasses and found thatthey offer some wide framed sunglasses called fatheadz some of them were pretty descent looking and i think they were like $28

have not tried them but for a budget pair of outdoor glasses they would probably do ok

kevin

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI

I have had the same problem. I found that some Smith glasses where good, but I now use Natives. Been really happy with them.

Bryan Crook

@bcrook007

Locale: Nebraska

On the Tifosi website, if you check the details on any particular model of sunglasses it should say something like "fits medium to large faces"…or something like that.

I've got a couple pair of Tifosi Ventoux that fit my big noggin. The quality isn't the best I've ever seen but they won't exactly break the bank either.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Dirk,

I highly recommend Native sunglasses, they have really high quality sunglasses that fit all sizes of domes. I have the Native Versa, came with 2 sets of polarized lenses, and they fit my Med/Wide face well. Tifosi shades look nice too, more affordable.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I appreciate all the responses here – I am sorry I didn't respond sooner I was a bit off the grid because of some work issues. Glad to hear that I am not alone as far as having a rather generously sized head. I will check out the suggestions – I had no idea there were so many different companies that catered to this market.

Thank you all! BPL is a great place.

Dirk

Robert Atwood
    Spectator

@courtright

Locale: Sierras

Oakley Monster Dogs fit my large head (7 7/8 hat size) fairly well.

Gabriel Lewis

@gabriel

The Maui Jim – Ho'okipa 407 works for me. Excellent polarized lenses and a durable lightweight frame. The lenses are quite durable also, for plastic.

I liked the Oakley Big Square Wires until they were discontinued.

Gabriel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools