Topic

Man Vs. Wild

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Man Vs. Wild

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Steve Pt

@trailtorn

Theres a lot of people on here comparing man vs wild to survivorman, and questioning whether he's really "man" enough to have done all this w/o a night in a hotel or whatever it is you're implying. Bear has illustrated step by step a number of different techniques I was taught while enlisted in the Marine Corps. While enlisted, I went through the jungle warfare training center, mountain warfare training center, a cold warfare training package, and a desert warfare training package. Now if bear shows you how to do something youre too weak, fat, or tired to do w/o hurting yourself, then dont do it, but thats a decision youll have to make when in that position. He also probably wears a floatation device during certain manuevers because theres about a 50/50 chance of drowning while doing it, but if you have no other choice he wants you to know how to do it as correctly as possible. We practiced the same precautions while practicing the techniques that could save our lives. Survivor man kills a rabbit, but holds back the "unpleaseantry" of seeing a poor innocent creature cleaned correctly before eaten. Well then how the hell is the viewer suppossed to know how to do it? If you want excitement people, rent Die Hard 2. Quit whining and listen and you might learn something. P.S. Why does this have to be explained to you?

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Steve, the issue is that Bear never stated that some of the stunts he were pulling we're staged. For instance, I don't remember him saying that they trucked in a horse to tame, do you?

I see that, this year, the show puts up a disclaimer that some of the events are done with help and even Bear will state this during the show. I appreciate the honesty, but this wasn't done until he was caught with his pants down.

Anyway, I still watch the show every week, but I treat MVW as more of an entertainment type show while I watch Survivor Man as if it's a self documentary. It's not like there are ten other shows like these to watch, so I'll still watch both shows.

I'll give Bear one thing though, he can sure climb like a monkey!

Anonymous
    Inactive

As long as we're debating the relative merits of various media men vs the wild, I think, in the interest of fairness, ol' Sly Stallone deserves at least passing mention.
    On a more serious note, both of these guys can probably take care of themselves in the backcountry. I mean, one of them(Survivorman??) is ex-SAS from what I have read. The problem arises when they try to can it for TV, IMO. TV can FUBAR darn near anything. Just look at all the ruffled feathers sticking out of the posts in this thread.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

I think I finally found a real use for BPL rank, good for spotting trolls. This guy has a serious love for man vs. wild. Poor thing, he gets so angry.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Did you see the Sierra episode- Rubbish!! Eating a Garder Snake? Where was the park ranger to write him a ticket. He said that snow melt needed to be filtered-thats got to be some of the cleanest H2O on the earth.

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

It was a Garter Snake.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Sorry- GARTER Snake! I need spell check.

Dave T

@davet

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

It is an easy mistake to make! That whole Sierra "tale" is so full of %^*$*. I

G Dup

@lococoyo

Is it really a big deal that some of Man vs. Wild is staged or that he takes safety precautions?
    Its just a television show. I don't recall hearing 'this is the true life survival story of Bear' or anything of that nature. I'm not really sure where the expectation that it was completely realistic came into being. They'd spend years out there trying to get some of that footage – wasn't that obvious?

Neither show really demonstrates how to survive for a long period of time (some might argue its not necessary to). BUT, because Bear takes safety precautions and creates circumstances we get to see all sorts of 'cool survival shi' that we don't see from Survivorman or anywhere else on network TV. I end up learning alot more – your experience may vary.

Man vs. Wild is an exciting (educational?) show. He shows us what COULD be done given the right circumstances and how to do it. Can you blame him for wearing a life vest or climbing with ropes? Why would anyone want to risk their life like that just for a show when they aren't truly in a survival situation – he's not Steve-O and its not Jackass. Isn't not like he couldn't climb without ropes, but why risk it?

When I watch Survivorman it just feels like i'm watching a man starve for a few days until rescued. Its boring (maybe too realistic, eh?). Survival isn't some big party like Bear makes it out to be, but I didn't think we needed to be told that, this is television for god sakes!

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

OK, I don't know why, but I enjoy watching this show when I have nothing else to do. I don't like the idea that he presents wilderness lore as factual information; but I am very impressed with his credentials. I get the feeling that his producers insist on some taboo techniques for ratings.

I just watched the most recent show this weekend, and he actually urinated in rattle snake skin (he ate the insides, of course) to use as a canteen for his urine. If drinking your own urine isn't bad enough, he also stated that he had an empty water bottle with him; yet he used the rattlesnake skin as a canteen instead….

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

But really, haven't we all urinated in rattlesnake skin at one time or another in our lives? (Or am I confusing that again for an Alice Cooper concert I once saw?!)

Actually, in a prior episode on urine recycling (the Kimberly outback I think), we were reminded to only drink the urine fresh, lest bacteria quickly sour the flavor. And then, only when we're good and hydrated and thus peeing clear. (Don't eat the yellow snow, to quote another halcyon memory.)

Many of Bear's demonstrated techniques do have merit, albeit merit without practical application for 99.99% of the viewership. I'm even willing to take the leap and accept the presented survival scenarios and responses for what they are: grossly disproportionate (even obtuse) to the problem at hand, but necessary in order to teach the really cool stuff I tuned in to watch.

But let's remember that Mr Grylls is merely the vessel here. He, himself, is no survival expert, but more of a celebrity stuntman with an especially likable persona. Bear, the employed, can be forgiven his inconsistencies from episode to episode. His employers less so, perhaps.

G Dup

@lococoyo

All was always taught that drinking urine in a survival situation is very hard on the kidneys – similar but clearly safer than drinking sea water. I was under the impression that you were better off not drinking your urine… Maybe this is a new development>

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

I'm certainly no expert on the matter (haven't purposely drank any urine… yet), but it is my understanding that drinking urine is to aid in preventing heat exhaustion (not dehydration). From what I understand, it has much more to do with the fluid intake (for cooling maybe?) as opposed to the hydration properties of urine. As a side not, if you are ever in a situation where you NEED to drink urine, it is said that 3 passes is the absolute max for the usefulness (whatever that may be) of urine consumption.

On the other hand, I've heard a story of a group of Cuban revolutionaries, during the Bay of Pigs, that survived for nearly 5 weeks drinking seawater, and cannibalistic food consumption, after they ran out of freshwater three days in to their survival. That goes against all common logic regarding hydration.

Also, keep in mind that the hiker that had to cut off his arm in Utah partially chalked up his survival to urine consumption.

I haven't heard of any medical revelations on the matter, but I get the idea that urine and seawater may be more resourceful than we are led to believe — in a dire situation only, of course.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Or did Aron Ralston survive that (real life) ordeal *because* of severe dehydration? The thickening of blood and slowing of the circulatory system may have saved his life between the time he cut off his arm and when he finally received medical attention. (Doesn't the book theorize as much, anyway?)

panxzz panxzz

@panxzz

bear grylls can fake anything he wants, i'll always continue to watch man vs wild.

…i think it might just be his accent.

rick miles

@go-bear-grylls

Just watched a new episode where he is in the Pacific ocean and it was great. He tried to catch a shark for food. What a crazy idea but he almost does it haha. Check out the video someone posted here under the Western Pacific episode:
    http://www.outdoorsurvivalclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?5-Man-Vs.-Wild-amp-Bear-Grylls-News-Video-Clips-of-Season-5-Man-Vs.-Wild-Episodes-2010

pretty crazy right?

Anyways Go Bear Grylls! You the man keep it up!

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools