Topic

~8oz. ‘Polycro’ Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ~8oz. ‘Polycro’ Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Wicked cool MYOG SUL shelter using polycro.

Matt Kirk aka "Fool on the Hill" has been making unbelievably gossamer gear for his ultramarathon distance fastpacking trips in the Appalachians.

Here are links to his blog and video for the fully featured ~8oz Polycro shelter:

Fool on the Hill- ~8oz. Polycro tarptent

How to build a 'polycryo' tube tent

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California
    ziff house

@mrultralite

working methods, anyone tried a tube tent recently? Would need bathtub/ slope out ends er else water would run in.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

so what happens when it rains and you have the storm doors closed? The condensation and general air quality would be horrendous!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it actually rained, being in this would be similar to climbing into a trash bag and velcroing it shut. you might not die of asphyxiation due to the air let in by the velcro, but I would think it would feel like it. You would also be sweating like a pig.

Am I missing something? It just seems like it would be a miserable space to escape the rain, as well as being terribly fragile?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Beaks from polycro would allow you to leave at least some of the mesh uncovered for ventilation.

Without them, though, you're right.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I'm impressed with the construction cleverness and appreciate the sharing via video. Very informative.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Nice find, that is loads of fun. I will maybe wait a couple more models until I make one, but good ideas, especially with the cuben/ netting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools