Topic

MYOG – Insulated Jacket System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG – Insulated Jacket System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

MYOG – Insulated Jacket System

Paramo “Third Element” Clone Plus
    Part 1

Several months ago I saw the new Paramo “Third Element” Jacket. The “Third Element” is more a system that can be used as a full Hooded Jacket or will come apart and become a Vest without a Hood and Sleeves. It can also be a Vest with Sleeves but it can not become a Hooded Vest.

Paramo “Third Element”

What I am trying to make is an insulated Jacket system that will be:

1 – A stand alone Jacket with or without the Hood or the Sleeves.

2 – A stand alone Vest with or without the Sleeves or the Hood

3 – The attachment system needs to be simple and not use zippers if possible.

I started with the “KWIK Sew” Hooded Vest pattern but I am modifying the pattern as I go. I have made the pattern as a Hooded Vest to see how much of the original pattern will work.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill, i’m sure this one is going to be another “Home Run”. Since no zippers, can velcro be used? It would seal the entire attachment area so that there are no drafts – something that buttons and snaps wouldn’t do in a strong wind.

If velcro can be used, you’d need to use the “loop” portion on the main part of the garment so that it doesn’t snag any clothing you’re wearing, etc. I’m sure you’ll come up with a better idea.

Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Ben,

Here are two threads I started about "Hoods" on things.

1. I stopped work on the Insulated Jacket System until I get a snap press. I want the hood removable and want to use plastic snaps to connect the hood to the vest.

2. The Capilene/#2 Wool Hoody Project shows a "for sale"pattern that you might use as the start point for a Hooded Vest Project.

MYOG-SW Capilene Hood Project

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools