Topic

Summer Gear list for the PNW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Summer Gear list for the PNW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

This list I am trying to use in both the summer and parts of spring and fall in the PNW.

Trips will be anywhere from overnight in length to 5 days or so.

Shelter:
    GG Spinnshelter 10.15oz
    Tent stakes 3.65oz
    Ground Cloth 5oz (need to set this up with my spinnshelter and see how much I can
    cut down)

Sleeping:
    MB UL Spiral #3 22.15oz
    Pillow 0.65oz
    Short Z-lite 7.55oz

Pack:
    SMD Swift 17oz
    Pack liner 2.10oz

Clothes:
    RAB rain jacket 9.05oz
    Mont rain pants 13.4oz
    MB Thermawrap 10.15oz
    OR gloves 2.9oz
    OR balaclava 1.5oz
    socks 1.20oz

Water and Cooking:
    Pocket Rocket 3.7oz
    Snow Peak 700ml 4.5oz
    Ti spoon 0.5oz
    1L platy 1.55oz
    Cozie 1.05oz

Miscellaneous:
    tp 0.9oz
    first aid and survival 2.95oz
    knife 3.1oz
    camera 6.8oz
    compass 2.4oz
    petzl e-lite 1oz
    mini bic 0.40oz
    ditty bag 0.5oz
    Dr Bronners 0.35oz
    Bug repellant 0.80oz
    Aqua Mira 0.80oz
    finger toothbrush 0.05oz

Total weight: 8.55 lbs

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

You'll want mosquito protection. A tigoat ptarmigan with full hood (don't get the window) runs about $90, or you might find one here used for cheaper – so nix the ground cloth.

You can get away with shepherd hook stakes so long as the ground isnt super rocky.

A kitchen garbage bag is lighter than that pack liner.

If those are your only pants, thats cool, but they do make lighter rain pants.

Bear bag?

Windscreen?

I'd bring another platy.

Bandana/towel?

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Chris, thanks for the recommendations

– bug protection, I am going to try and go til the end of may or so without and then get something for after I get back from fishing in August. Ptarmigan bivy sounds like a good one.

– yeah some of my stakes are kind of heavy, i dont want to pay like 5 bucks shipping for 14 bucks of stakes at the moment though, definitly on my to do list though

– my pack liner is that heavy because at the time I wanted a pack liner for an 85 litre pack. Do you think a medium bpl pack liner would fit a SMD swift pack?

– rain pants, yeah my only pants at the moment, I would like to get some lighter pants at some stage, other then trying to find golite reeds somewhere any ideas?

– bear bag, have looked at a few set ups, any recommendations?

– havent been using a windscreen, do want to try out a caldera cone alcohol stove set up later this year

– yeah another platy is probably a good idea, I was thinkin if I am along a river not need though

– have been thinkin about picking up a buff bandana

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

– my pack liner is that heavy because at the time I wanted a pack liner for an 85 litre pack. Do you think a medium bpl pack liner would fit a SMD swift pack?

I mean a literal kitchen trash bag – they work well.

A windscreen will cut down on your fuel consumption, and may also be a necessity in super windy conditions. Aluminum foil is a cheap option or you can also buy windscreens for cheap. Or a caldera cone.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

The only reason I was thinking a smaller version of the pack liner I already have is I am worried that my pot lid might snag and cut a kitchen garbage bag, or my stove if it falls out of my pot.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

a

:)

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Also, some people use compactor bags, which are a bit more durable.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Any other ideas?

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another shirt? Seems like a stinky bag if you asked me and an uncomfortable human. I always love putting on a dry long sleeved undershirt instead of my sweat soaked one I went up the trail with. my 2c.

Switch out the MB thermawrap for an extra long sleeved T and a down vest? Never really tried it myself, but should work as you are taking a rain jacket so the warmth from the vest will stay with you.

Your list seems downright plush compared to when I went with nothing more than a school backpack a plastic ground sheet and a polyester sleeping bag in 2 garbage sacks.

Mosquitoes are only bad if you are camping near a lake in PNW or valley bottom I suppose. I know lots of folks love camping near lakes. I can remember huddling buried in my sleeping bag at gold lake about oh 8 years ago in June. Thankfully it wasn't boiling hot. Mosquitoes are bad in june, never had a problem later though.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

An inexpensive option for rain pants are DriDucks. They aren't real durable, but they weigh around 4oz. For a little more money you could also look at the ULA rain wrap which is around 3oz.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Thanks for all the help guys.

Should be getting my bear bag set up in the mail today.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

trash

2.2 oz each, super durable.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

For a new pack liner I ended up picking some 1.2oz pack liners from MLD up.
    If they dont work I will go to the trash compactors.

What do you guys reckon for rain pants. I want to switch out for lighter ones. Looking at either golite reeds or montane featherlites. Any opinions on these or other pants?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

This list I am trying to use in both the summer and parts of spring and fall in the PNW.

Trips will be anywhere from overnight in length to 5 days or so.

Shelter:

Ground Cloth 5oz

get a Frost King window film insulation kit at Home Depot. Works great and 1 to 1.5oz. The large size will yield 3 or more ground cloths.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Agreed. At 5oz, you're better off going with a bivy for a 2oz penalty that includes ground, bug, draft, and splash protection.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I agree with Dale, a window wrap (heat shrink plastic) is very strong and well worth the $5 or $6 for enough material for two of them. It's my personal choice for a light but durable ground cloth.

Polycro is another name of this plastic sold by some UL backpacking suppliers. It's far better than Tyvek B/C it packs much smaller, won't pick up debris and is lighter as well.

On my window wrap plastic groundcloth I've duct taped a Triptease cord at each end to go to my end stakes on my TT Moment. That way winds can't move the groundcloth.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

thanks for the input guys.

I was ordering some stuff from MLD so ordered a few of their poly cro ground cloths.

I will probably buy a bivy for more 3+ season stuff.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools