Topic

Adding a beak to a tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding a beak to a tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

So awhile back, I made a 9×5 tarp to use for solo hiking in combination with a bivy. I really like it so far, but I have found that when rain is being blown from wind, it gets under the tarp pretty easy.
    I figured adding a beak would at least help deflect some of this rain/wind.
    I would imagine that I just have to cut a triangle out and sew it on, but something tells me its more complicated than that. Is there a shape that the beak has to be?
    Thanks

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you mention the typical center height during a rain storm, and maybe the typical side edge height, maybe others can comment on whether your beak dimensions make sense.

About a month ago, I sewed one about 8×5, but I cut it with a front beak and rear beak. Not only do they keep a little rain out, but they provide better front apex and rear apex "cups" to put the poles under.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Set up your tarp

Have a line going from the peak down along the top ridge of where you want the beak to go

Mark on this line where you want the beak to go down to

Measure the three sides of the triangle which a side of your beak would be

Make your beak using those dimensions

Good idea, makes the tarp a lot more rain proof

Are you going to put in a zipper? Makes it easier to get in/out. If it's not raining you can leave the door open for better ventilation.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Supplementing to Jerry's instructions … Add 1 inch to each of those measurements for seam allowance.

And +1 on the value of a zipper

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

My zippered beak

I am way too old to crawl under a non-zippered beak. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Thanks for the tips guys.
    I was definitely thinking about adding the zipper, makes it a lot easier to get in to like you guys said.
    After I posted this, I was looking at Henry's original tarptent plans, and on the beak for that tarp, he secures one side with velcro instead of a zipper. I was thinking about doing this because it would definitely be lighter.
    Thoughts?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

zipper is stronger

probably about the same weight

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

John,

I was just looking over Henry's original tarp tent plans and from what I gather he uses the velcro to hold back the bug netting and the beak when they are rolled up.

I do notice that in one picture on the right hand side there is a patch of velcro that appears to be the point where the beak is attached to the tarp tent body via the velcro patch. It doesn't seem that storm worthy to me. I'd be concerned that strong gusts of wind might separate the beak from the body of the tarp tent.

I'm not a fan of velcro but if you go that route I'd suggest using omni tape. It has both hooks and loops on each piece of the tape. It has a softer feel and doesn't snag on everything the way the hook side of regular velcro tape does.

I'm with Jerry on this one. I vote for the zippered beak. I would sew the beak to the body of the tarp tent and install a zipper to allow it to separate and roll back out of the way when not needed.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools