Topic

3 gm, 9″ Titanium bike spokes: What to use for?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3 gm, 9″ Titanium bike spokes: What to use for?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I just acquired numerous slightly “non-straight” titanium bicycle spokes, they’re pretty stiff, weigh 3 grams each and are 9 ” long, 1/16″ diameter, with a 90 degree bend 1/4″ from the end. Holding them at one end, they can tangentially support 250 grams on the other end.
    There has to be some good use for these in ultralight backpacking / camping.
    The question becomes, what could these be used for?

Thanks,
    Mike

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

They have been used to make pot supports for cooking kits.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Semi U-shaped tarp stakes if used in ideal ground conditions.

gay culbertson

@gculbertson

Use them, or sell them, to make a grill like at this site. The bend ends will prevent the rods from falling out during assembly.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4446/index.html

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Mike,

Would you like to part with one of them? I've been trying to get my hands on a single spoke for some time.

– sam_h

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

REI might have single titanium spokes. I picked up a single standard spoke from REI recently for a bail for my cook pot.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

What about light shelter support either shapped in the hood of a bivy, or on the foot-end of a tarp set up like the HS Contrail?
    Spokes would seem ideal for adding structure to a shelter in a number of configurations.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Sam_H,
    thanks for the vote of confidence (that I might be able to find one…..;)
    Let me take a look and I'll let you know.

MikeB

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> titanium bicycle spokes, they're pretty stiff, weigh 3 grams each
    Micro Ti stakes for holding up an Ti foil windscreen. Works great. See article:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/taming_those_large_flexible_foil_windshields.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools