Topic

High Sierra Trail Late July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion High Sierra Trail Late July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James VanDeVelde
    Spectator

@vandevej

Locale: Central California

Planning a west to east trip over Whitney on HST July 23rd. Given such a heavy snow year, will crampons and ice axe be advisable for the trail up Whitney? I know it's best guess I'm asking for. I'm already leaning toward tent and planning for lots of water crossings based on what I see on the map…would appreciate insights from this who've been on the trail before

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That section of trail around Whitney will be very well traveled. There will be some long snow patches, but there will be a muddy foot track trough it all. The very most that you would need would be one trekking pole and some microspikes on your boots.

There will be one snow patch just a few hundred vertical feet below the summit. Then there will be one long snow patch just east of Trail Crest, and the trail will criss-cross that one for about 15 switchbacks down. There is generally some ice along the railing when you are halfway down the switchbacks.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"planning for lots of water crossings based on what I see on the map…would appreciate insights from this who've been on the trail before"

This has been a very heavy snow year and, if there is not an unusually hot spring to melt the snow down early, your most difficult crossing is probably going to be Wright Creek about halfway between Junction Meadow and the JMT. I've been there in August with moderately high water and was very glad it was not any higher. The creek cascades down across the trail through a slot in a cliff and the hillside on the other side of the trail is quite steep. There are not a lot of good options for going up or downstream to find a better place to cross. If the stream flows are still running exceptionally high in late July, I would advise checking with the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center in Lone Pine (telephone 1-760-876-6200) for the latest information on stream flows before making final route plans.

James VanDeVelde
    Spectator

@vandevej

Thanks for the input guys!

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Good questions, James… I'm 6 days behind you.

James VanDeVelde
    Spectator

@vandevej

Great Aaron, I'll try to remember to leave a message for you at the summit log!

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

How far in advance do you typically need permits to do the HST? A friend and I would like to do it August/September. Thanks in advance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools