Topic

Tall Tales from Colca Canyon, Peru: Global Test Photo Essay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tall Tales from Colca Canyon, Peru: Global Test Photo Essay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Paladino
    BPL Member

@dtpaladino

Locale: Northern Rockies
    Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Beautiful photos. What an amazing trip that must have been! How I wish I could afford to do something like that, but I'm unemployed with no hopes of a job and so the only "travel" I can do is via articles like this. Thank you for sharing and helping to relieve my empty existence a little bit.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Thank you for your beautiful photo essay…where did you start to get here? Any tips on logistics would be awesome…

Kevin Hanks

@kevin-h56

Hey
    Scott the logistics are fairly effortless. One can take an organised tour from the Peruvian city of Arequipa, however it's more fun and a little cheaper to do it solo. You take a local bus from Arequipa to a town around 40mins away from there the journey is interesting as you take a second bus for maybe around 2hours, but it's a fight to get a seat on the bus (no seats left, no problem sit on the floor! on and plays a hilarious and interesting ride.

When the 2 hour bus ride is over you spend the night in a small village type place at the top of the Canyon. The following day you fill up with supplies and head down.

At the bottom of the canyon accommodation is readily available for maybe no more than 4/5USD per night. In addition, the hostel down there put on dinner for around another 5USD.

If you decide to take the solo route then while you're at the bottom of the canyon 'grease up' a tour leader as he pull the shoots for a minibus ride back to Arequipa via a natural thermal spring and restaurant. The tour leader will charge probably a dollar or so more than going solo. And plus you'll get to meet people on the bus etc

Any question just ask.

Kind regards

Kevin @Kevinhanks1

Tom J. Hart
    BPL Member

@harttj

Pack seems to be interesting. As well as the shelter, you shoes, water bottle etc. Any chance at a kit list and names of the companies that make them?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Anna – thank you for posting the link to our first article, which shows our initial gear list.

Tom – Our follow-up article in the Global Test Series was just published.The final kit list is included, in addition to notes on performance, more photos and a map of highlights from Central and South America.

The Global Test Part II: Evaluating System Efficiency for a Round-the-World Journey

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools