Topic

Breathable Cuben Fiber?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Breathable Cuben Fiber?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Would it be possible for the cuben fabric makers to create a breathable cuben fabric simply by putting a few million needle holes into it?

Depending on the number and size of the holes it might mimic either uncoated nylon or mosquito netting but weigh less…..possibly much less.

This idea was submitted by my cat when she saw my new cuben fiber rainfly.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

The only problem I forsee with perforated cuben is loss of integrity of the film. Polyester film has zero resistance to tearing once it is nicked or punctured, and the fiber layer in a sheet of cuben won't stay together on its own. You can peel apart a piece of cuben to test this. Without the film the reinforcement layer falls apart.

To me it seems strange that we haven't seen a mill produce lightweight woven dyneema textiles.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

There are a few mills that make "lightweight" woven Dyneema/Spectra but your talking $100+ a yard with 500 yard minimums. Thats a 50K investment.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wonder why it is so expensive.

Demand too small?

Difficult to produce?

–B.G.–

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42510

Check out the above thread. Or are talking more along the lines of a mesh?

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

Sounds like your cat is already all over the project…now if she can do breathable AND waterproof…
    have fun,
    Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools