Topic

repairing a cuben tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear repairing a cuben tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

I finally graduated to a cuben tarp. On its first voyage it had an encounter with a camp ground black bear in the smokies. Just my luck!!. The tarp has a couple of fist size holes and some smaller claw holes. Any suggestions on repairs. I ducted taped it up to get through my vacation. Do I just buy some cuben and seam tape? Where can I buy the materials?

thanks ron

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Make the black bear pay!

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If you bought it direct from the maker, give a call to discuss options.

If not, consider buying some adhesive back reinforcement used for the tieouts etc and bond it directly to the Cuben, capturing all the bits and pieces. Then talc the adhesive side to kill any exposed gaps.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Just goes to show that Cuben is no good for tarps.

Just kidding. For a lightweight, clean-looking (but not invisible), and permanent repair, I would recommend making a patch out of new cuben material (available from several online vendors, ie Quest Outfitters) and attaching it with Hysol U-09lv or U-09fl. I think this attachement method will give a much stronger and more tidy result than tape.

Just cut out the jagged edge around each hole, then cut two pieces of new material: a patch for one side and a patch with a cut-out for the other side:

patch

If you clamp it well (or press it down with something heavy) while the glue is curing, it should give a neat-looking and permanent repair that is as strong as the original material with very little added weight. Tape would be a bit less labor, but it is likely to look less clean, and it won't be as strong.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Where were you during this encounter?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Colin,

I'm reluctant to ask this question because I think the answer might be obvious and I just can't see it………but here goes.

"a patch with a cut-out for the other side"

Why the cut-out? Wouldn't a solid patch on each side work?

Daryl

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Yes. Two solid patches would work. Two solid patches is a bit heavier, and one solid patch (a one-sided repair) is a little less strong. A solid patch with a ring on the other side seems to me like a good intermediate way to restore the strength to that of the new material with very little added weight.

I'm a stickler about the details of bonded cuben seams, though. The truth is, your tarp probably has taped simple-overlap seams (which do not achieve the strength of a contiguous piece of material). So, just slapping a patch on one side of a hole will give a result as strong or stronger than the seams the tarp came with.

You don't need to be as picky as I am about it. These repairs won't be under a lot of strain. You can keep it simple. If you measure carefully and clamp tightly it will turn out fine.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Colin,

Thanks for the additional info. Now I understand.

Daryl

Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

thanks for the details on repair, i will check out quest outfitters for materials

as for location, i was staying at a car camp ground prior to heading out the next day. Big creek campground (smokies) has about 15 tent sites. Any way, this pesky bear was on top of the picnic table and then made a couple of laps around my tent (about 1 am). I decided not chance it and went to go sleep in the back of the car. When i came back in the morning, the tent was down with several holes and teeth marks on my trekking pole handles.

duct tape sticks to cuben really well!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools