Topic

Cuben hybrid stake stuff sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben hybrid stake stuff sack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Johnsen
    BPL Member

@sixoclocknews

Nothing too special, just trying to get used to working with cuben. Wanted a little extra puncture resistance at the pointy ends and had a well used tyvek lying around. I bought some 1/2" 3M seam stick from a local sail maker. Seemed a little thick for such a small project so I cut it in half. Sticks equally well to tyvek and seems strong enough for the purpose that I'm not going to sew it. The side seems are doubled up.

That was the smallest toggle I had lying around. Weighs ~1.5g (my scale isn't that great and only goes to the nearest gram, and keeps bouncing back and forth). Pretty easy actually.
    sack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"smallest toggle"

I have some from Thru-Hiker that weigh 0.6 grams each.

When you get that small, you have to pay attention more to matching the size to the cord. At some point, you switch over from a braided cord to a monofilament fishing line.

–B.G.–

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Nice William. That was one of my first projects with cuben too! I did ripstop instead of tyvek, and I also did it for the drawcord area since I figured such thin line can't be good for the mylar.
    hybrid

The best part is being able to see your stakes when you're carrying different ones.

After working with silnylon, cuben is a dream to work with. I find that it holds creases well so doing flat-felled seams is quite easy

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Get rid of the the toggle and try THIS METHOD

William Johnsen
    BPL Member

@sixoclocknews

Bob: Yeah, the thicker stuff looked too big, so I opted for dacron fishing line, which is a little tough to get a toggle to stick on. I pulled off the top and stretched the spring to give it more resistance when the top was back on and it worked better.

Konrad: Yours looks great as well! Did you just sew the cuben to the ripstop? Or did you seam stick it first? Did you seam grip over the top to help stop the punctures from spreading or has it held up? I imagine on something like this it's less critical. I agree cuben holds creases well (may not be good over time according to Richard's tests), but it makes it nice to work with! It got me excited to work on bigger projects.

Jack: Thanks for the link/info, I'm definitely going to try it out! No toggle would be ideal.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

William, theres no seam grip or tape. Just material and thread. While it looks like I've just sewn cuben ontop of ripstop, its actually a flat felled seam
    flat

Each stitch goes through 2 layers of cuben and 2 layers of ripstop, so everything is pretty rugged and has held up well so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools