Topic

Good Outdoor DVD’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Barry Pollock

@barry1492

Locale: Media

Can we start a list? Here's what comes to the top of my head:

-Riding Giants – Excellent (10 stars!) surf documentary by Stacey Peralta. I recommend this to anyone even if you hate surfing.

-The Eiger Sanction – Meh….cheesey 70s movie with Clint Eastwood, but he does spend a lot of it training for a climb of The Eiger.

-First Ascent – I've not seen it yet, but the trailer looks awesome. Its a documentary about free climbing.

Into the Wild – an adaptation of John Krakauer's book about a young kid who just disapeared, hithced across the country, canoed to Mexicao, and spent some alone time in Denali before dying of starvation.

FSTPKR has a homemade docuumentary on his record thru hike of the PCT that isn't bad. You can search it on youtube.

What else – Diliverence, Endless Summer (I couldn't finish it, I thought it was pretty bad), that rock climbing movie with Stalone.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I recently watched The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest, which is a documentary and really enjoyed it.

Most of the other stuff, I really kind of see as adventure or comedy flicks, not outdoor movies but I like them.

How about Continental Divide with John Belushi? I loved that comedy.

I think the Stalone movie you referred to is Cliffhanger.

K2 was okay.

I liked Seven Years in Tibet.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Grizzly Man, Werner Herzog's take on Timothy Treadwell.
    Encounters at the End of the World, Werner Herzog's take on Antarctica
    Touching the Void, film about Joe Simpson's dramatic self-rescue

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

I will second Encounters at the end of the world. it was very well done.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I've always enjoyed the "everest: beyond the limit" series by Discovery.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Walk series by Squatch…humorous take on the Pacific Crest Trail, written and directed by a true gem of a guy.

Walking the West…among my favorite documentaries on long-distance hiking. You can actually watch this on You Tube as well (two-parts).

"Touching the Void" is terrific, makes me regret every time I ever whined on the trail. Simpson is as tough and persistent as they come.

"Alone in the Wilderness" is just a great true-life story everyone should watch, because it can't help but make you love the outdoors.

I always liked "Gerry" with Casey Affleck and Matt Damon. Well directed buy Gus Van Sandt.

Not a DVD, but something you can watch online…Cookie and Paul walk from Mexico to Canada on the CDT…well done! http://www.made-in-england.org/videos/cdt/slow.php

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

The Runner

This is a documentary of David Horton setting the PCT speed record in 2006 in ultra runner style. (his record was broken in 2010 in thru hiker style).

A great film if you are into running or the PCT.

The link below is the only place I know of where its available.
    The Runner, Journey Films

This web site also has other great documentaries about backpacking, thruhiking, running, climbing …
    but The Runner is the only one I've seen.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

180 South- Conquerors of the Useless

Patagonia film documenting a group of surfers and climbers from Ventura, CA to Fitzroy

Eastern Rises

Epic fly fishing expedition to remote Kamchatka, Russia in search of mega-sized mouse eating trout along pristine water

Indulgence- 1000 Miles Under the Colorado Sky

Indulgence: 1000 Miles Under the Colorado Sky features ultra-marathon phenom Anton Krupicka in a high-definition running film inspired by mountain ski and bike films. The film will offer the viewer a first-hand look at Anton’s life as he trains in the mountains of Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California during the summer of 2007. The film’s presentation will reflect Anton’s simple approach to life and running and his continued pursuit of this minimalist ideal amidst the expectations of modern society.

Ride the Divide

An award-winning feature film about the world's toughest mountain bike race, which traverses over 2700 miles along the Continental Divide in the Rocky Mountains. The film weaves the story of three characters' experiences with immense mountain beauty and small-town culture as they attempt to pedal from Banff, Canada to a small, dusty crossing on the Mexican border.

This film was awesome.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I'll add Journey on the Wild Coast, by our friends Erin and Hig. It is a wonderful narrative of their 4000 mile trip from Seattle to Unimak Island at the end of the Alaska Peninsula. It has been shown in Alaska and the northwest, winning a few film festival awards. more information at their website http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/Movie/

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

I just watched the "Eiger Sanction" for the first time about a week ago. What a hoot! It may be one of the most politically incorrect movies of all time but still well worth watching. Dated for sure, but well worth adding to your Netflix queue. I read that the then 45yr old Clint Eastwood did all of his own climbing for the film. I have to admit I watched it again before I returned it!

+1 on "Touching the Void"…truly an amazing story.

I'd add "Alive", based on the true story about the rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes.

Has anyone seen the film adaption of Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air"? I read it wasn't a good adaptation of the book but may still check it out if I find it in the bargain bin.

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

Pretty much most stuff by Ray Mears, but his Northern Wilderness DVD series is excellent if you want a bit of bushcraft mixed with the history of Canada. Another series to watch for is his extreme survival stuff.

Tom B

@tomhiker

Universal Sports has been broadcasting "Vertical Frontier" which is a history of climbing in Yosemite Valley. Fun to see all the big names in their early years.

Living Well Network has an outdoor series filmed by two brothers which is actually pretty good. Hiking / camping in the west (CA / Hawaii / Utah so far).

Search Netflix for climbing and mountaineering films, there are some good ones on Instant watch. I liked the German film Norwand (North Face) about attempt to be first to summit north face of the Eiger. Bunch of stuff on Everest, Frontline producing one of the better shows. Just keep plugging in different search criteria and you'll find lots on Netflix.

-Tom

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Lars Monsen — Canada & Nordkalotten 365

Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Locale: Midwest

+1 on the "WALK" series.

Another fun video is "WIZARDS OF THE PCT"
    Search YouTube for trailer and other shorts

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Here are four more excellent documentaries:

"Walking With Freedom" an AT through-hike by Michael "Lionking" Daniel.

"Walking West With Freedom" a PCT through-hike also by Michael "Lionking" Daniel.

"The Walkumentary" a CDT though-hike by Lawton "Disco" Grinter.

"Alone Across Alaska – 1000 Miles of Wilderness" a 1000 mile hike and paddle trip across Alaska's interior by Buck Nelson.

Shane O’Donnell

@jester2000

Locale: In front of a computer, tragically

Love the suggestions so far, and not just 'cause my movie is one of them (and thanks for the mention, Curtis!).
    Definitely see The Walkumentary — Disco has it on his site for download.
    I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Jeremiah Johnson, but you've probably seen that. So how about a 1996 Canadian Documentary called Project Grizzly? I find it hilarious. And I even think that some parts I find hilarious were meant to be funny. I believe you can watch it here

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

++1 on the Ray Mears shows. He is the antithesis of the Bear Grylls-style "survival". Ray is highly regarded, shows very practical techniques and often throws in interesting bits of history and culture. If you have any interest in "survival/bushcraft/primitive" skills I think he is hard to beat.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

+1 to Alone in the Wilderness (I adore that movie) and Herzog recs. Probably my favorite director. I'd add Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre, the Wrath of God, even though they're a bit different than a lot of what's been mentioned. Still fall into the adventure/wilderness category. Also:

Walkabout (Australia)
    The Fast Runner (Arctic)
    Dersu Uzala (Siberia)

I know I'm forgetting lots…Jeremiah Johnson is awesome as well…

The Cossack

@thecossack

Locale: sedona

jeremiah johnson
    made his way to the mountains
    bettin on forgettin
    all the troubles he been through

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

That is one of my favorite all time movies. There are not many movies that I can watch more than once, but I bet I've watched it 20 times over the years.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

After watching the Eiger Sanctions, be sure to watch these two videos consecutively:

Ueli Steck Training + Philosphy

Ueli Steck Eiger Nordwand Ascent

Be sure to watch them regardless. Committing.

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

Yes – one of my all time favorites as well. Just finished reading (I believe the 3rd time in the last 30 years) the book the movie was based on "Mountain Man" by Vardis Fisher. Also a good book.

Drop Bear
    BPL Member

@dropbear

I just watched "Alone in the Wilderness part II" and
    enjoyed it even more than the first.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Three girls escape across 1,200 miles of Australia, from forced training schools, to get home. True story from the 1930's. I think about it when the going gets tough….

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

Great movie

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools