Topic

Plastic bag omelet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Plastic bag omelet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    R M

@roscoet

Does anyone on here make eggs in plastic bags and use a cozy?
    If so how does it work out?

I've been looking for lots of freezer bag cooking ideas. My goal is to eat similar things in the back country as I eat at home. This makes sense to me on several levels.

I've checked out sites that mention cooking omelets and poached eggs in plastic bags. These seem simple enough but I wonder about the cook time. Most suggest to simmer about 15 minutes. I'm not going to run my stove for that long and waste fuel. So I want to try a cozy.

Does anyone on here make eggs in plastic bags and use a cozy?
    If so how does it work out for you? How long?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Are you talking about making omelets in a plastic bag from fresh eggs? Or are you talking about making eggs, dehydrating them, then re-hydrating in a freezer bag with boiling water?

For the former, I would think that you need to boil/simmer for that amount of time, to initially cook the eggs. I don't think a cozy would keep the water hot enough to fully cook the egg?

For the latter, re-hydrating eggs should be just like re-hydrating any food. Add boiling water, and let sit in a cozy for ~10 min. I hope this is what you are thinking of. I would think fresh eggs would be heavy, and the possibility of making a gooey egg mess if you break them…

R M

@roscoet

I was thinking of using fresh eggs. 6 eggs cracked and kept in a small plastic bottle would not be that heavy, at least in my opinion. I'm not super worried about a few oz on a weekend trip. Just thinking on what could be done as I love eating eggs.

I'm not sure where I could get proper dried eggs. Seems that stuff is hard to find around here unless you want to pay.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Boiling foods in plastic bags is a trend that has come and gone several times. In recent years people have begun to question the safety of this cooking method. The FDA regulates the safety of plastic containers so that they can be used for boiling or heating foods. HOWEVER, PLASTIC BAG ARE NOT REGULATED IN THE SAME WAY. Harvard Medical School recommends heating foods only in approved containers that are labeled as such, especially when heating in the microwave. Many dangers that can lead to illness or injury exist when food is boiled in plastic bags.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/176349-what-are-the-dangers-of-boiling-food-in-plastic-bags/#ixzz1p8TWgIMw

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I'm not sure where I could get proper dried eggs."

This may not be a complete solution, but here is a grocery store dry egg product:

Deb El (brand) Just Whites, 100% dried egg whites. One can is equal to 21 egg whites. No refrigeration required.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

On eggs – Ova brand is the best for dried.

The omelets in bags don't need boiling water, rather just simmering water. Make sue the bag doesn't touch the pot sides and has plenty of water around it to float. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to cook. You can steam bake eggs as well:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker/part4

BTW, brand name freezer bags are made in the US.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

I've steam poached eggs in silicon cups the way Sarah show in her link and it works incredibly well. I use a squishy cup from Guyot Designs though. I think it took 4 minutes to cook the egg properly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools