Topic

cuben fiber hammocks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cuben fiber hammocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rick mccoll

@rgmccoll

Locale: East Tennessee

Aside from the cost, why are not more hammocks made from this material?

I am aware of a least one failure; but reading the report, it seems to be a solvable issue.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I personally would not want to sleep in a non-breathable hammock. When it is warm you would end up with a wet back. This is the reason I ended up making an underquilt. Sleeping on a foam pad with a 60* night low temp, I ended up chilled in the am from the puddles of sweat trapped in the z-lite valleys.

And…from seeing postings on the testing done on cuben fiber seams and attachment points, it appears that when cuben reaches it limit it fails completely. Nylon has a lot more give.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I made a channeled hammock out of .74 oz cuben fiber and Amsteel a few mos ago. First tried gathered ends just for simplicity and the cuben wanted to tear in/near the gather. I've only used it a couple times so far, no issues yet. It has held me fine – 6'4" 205lbs. Although every time I'm in it I expect it to let me fall right through. lol…If you're under 200lbs I think you will be fine honestly.

Ryan

rick mccoll

@rgmccoll

Locale: East Tennessee

Ryan,
    did you experience any moisture problems, as anticipated by Chris?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I vaguely remember someone here experimenting with cuben for hammock material, and finding that it just didn't hold up well for a reason I can't remember.

Of course, I could be going crazy….

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I vaguely remember someone here experimenting with cuben for hammock material, and finding that it just didn't hold up well for a reason I can't remember. … Of course, I could be going crazy…."

I think you're going

c

r

a

z

y……

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

If you check the date of this thread you will see that my Cuben Hammock is 4 years old. I have used it a lot over the years and have not had a problem with it.

When I made it I was after the lightest weight gear list I could make. Cuben Fiber was used for as many items as I could design.

I weigh about 150 with no cloths on so weight was not a very big problem for me. The Cuben I used was 0.47 ounces per sq yard.

Cuben Hammock Thread

I only had 10 seconds to get into my hammock before my camera took the picture. I can get down lower into the hammock but didn't have time to for this picture.

ziff house

@mrultralite

course, I could be going crazy….''

That happens to me alot, now where did i put that bolt i just had,,

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Rick,

No moisture issues yet. My opinion is that it wont be as bad as many people think.

Ryan

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

IIRC Lawson was going to make cuben hammocks.
    One puncture under load cause catastrophic failure.
    He decided not to sell them commercially.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools