Topic

West Coast Trail – August 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports West Coast Trail – August 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Yang

@kjyang

I finally finished my WCT journal.

A few notes:

– I found the trail to be easy, maybe because I didn't encounter any rain.
    – All campsites have compost toilets and bear lockers.
    – I only run into 2 other hikers (an older couple) with lightweight or ultralight backpacks. Most other people had 70-80 liter packs with probably 50+ lb loads.
    – Dirty Girl gaiters worked very well for me for beach hiking.
    – Even though I took 6 days to finish, it can be easily finished in 4-5 days.

You can find the journal and packing list in the link below:

West Coast Trail Journal

Edit: Updated link.

. ..

@dgowler

Great report Kevin! I feel like I can especially appreciate it as I started the trail on the 18 of august and didn't have the presence of mind to journal while on the trail. Your report mirrored my trip nearly identically. Even taking the carmanah cable car just for fun. I was one of those people with the 70L expedition packs, wishing I knew then what I know now. Getting my pack to a third of what I carried on WCT certainly would have benefitted me at the widest of the surge channels. We weren't told about any route around it, took our packs off and tossed them across then jumped ourselves. I muffined out on my pack toss and ended up dropping my pack into the channel only to be saved by a trekking pole and the quick wits of one of my hiking partners. It still has sea salt in all the straps. I can only imagine how much more enjoyable the trail would have been with a UL pack.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I did it in 09 with a fully loaded 20lb pack in 4 days. The monterous packs on that trail threaten to push you off the board walk. I found it to be easy, because of the UL pack. If i had a 50lb 80L beast would have been harder, on the ladders and muck. I met another guy at the shuttle with a Granite gear bag and a lightweight load. one of the kids starting had a heavier pack than both of our combined. I hope he made it out alive…

David Ure

@familyguy

Fun stuff.

I have done the trail 5 times. Once in torrential rain for 4 days. Yes, a much different trek then!!!

I have done it in as little as a 2 day fastpack and as a 4.5 day "yo yo" (end to end and back again). Both were not fun at all. I would highly recommend taking one's time and spend some time exploring. I think I still have scars from those trips…..

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Best WCT description I have read. How much was the hostel in Seattle? Might be nice to know as I have some friends coming up here. I somehow doubt they will be doing much "sleeping" with all the night life near Pike Place Market.

Like everyone else, I find myself truly amazed at the moster packs and gear folks take. Though I will admit, bringing a camp chair is quite relaxing!

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Awesome trip report Kevin, by far the best I have read on the WCT. This hike is on my "to do" list for next, year. I hope I get as good as weather as you did.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Excellent trip report. You did a really good job of conveying the "feel" of the trail for those thinking of doing it; which I find useful.

I live pretty close and am still not sure how much I really want to do it. One day. It's another beach walk, and although I have no real comparison never having done the WCT, on the other side of the country in St. John's Newfoundland is The East Coast Trail .

I'd imagine it's similiar in that it's a coastal walk, and a well managed trail, but drier with more views of the ocean. The downside is there is some road walking, but the communities are pretty cool.

I only did a quarter of it because my friend and I went out the day after the worst hurricane they had in 50 years (Igor), but it was excellent. My ECT Trip Report from Sept. 2010.

Varied terrain, not too difficult, 250+km, and completely accessible from St. John's (the capital, well worth a visit in itself). Logistics are very very easy, no need to rent a car or deal with transportation hassles for out of towners. Perfect for solo hiking.

Cab from airport to trailhead $20-40. Taxi from end of trail to airport $80-100.

Just food for thought.

Thanks for the TR.

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

thanks for the great trip report. i did it in 2009 in 6 days in july with no rain and a 50+ lb. backpack, from south-to-north….. it was challenging for me, but a great trip. i went with a group of 5 and had a great time. i really recommend the water taxi back to your starting point. we finished the hike and grabbed a case of beer and had a great ride back. it was like doing the hike in reverse and we got to see several whales and sea lions up close. here is my trip report:

http://richfredd.blogspot.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools