Topic

alcohol storage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) alcohol storage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I'm looking to make the switch to an alcy stove (Caldera Cone), using Everclear 190 proof as my fuel. Most trips will call for around 12oz. or so of fuel, according to my calculations, and I'm looking for advice on containers.

Of course I'm looking for light and leakproof, and something that has lots of control to avoid spills and waste. The Trail Designs squeeze bottles appear to fit these criteria well, and combining the 5.5oz and the 8oz. bottles would handle the volume I need.

Other recommendations/options? (including options for purchasing the bottles TD uses from other sources)

I'm tempted to use a small platy bottle, but don't think they provide the precise control that the TD squeeze bottles do.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Some friends of mine discovered that the lid from Sriracha hot sauce fits on the small 16oz Platy bladder. It allows much more precise control and seals very well. I use that for alcohol storage when I need more than 8oz.

JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

I just use the smallest water bottles I can find, very light. Used those for a week long trip this past summer, no issues. Using the tiny ones allows them to be stuffed wherever into my pack. I also like having more than one bottle… just in case. They pour fine, I've had no issues pouring into the standard 10/12 stove that comes with the Caldera. I use 190 everclear too, no issues with that on the plastic.

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

the rooster-sauce caps fit on those standard water bottles as well. other types of squeeze/squirt caps do as well. the alcohol may deteriorate some types of plastic, but it's a pretty slow process… just keep an eye out for leaks

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Everclear is ridiculously expensive. Your mostly paying for alcohol taxes.
    Just use hardware store denatured, yellow Heet and many, many other sources.

Regarding the Sriracha(cock) cap. I find they leak in my pack. Good old soda bottle has proven to be the most reliable.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I've stored alcohol in all sorts of plastic soda, juice, water, etc. bottles with no leaks ever (this in several thousand miles of backpacking the last few years). If you're worried about spilling when you pour, just pour carefully. I don't see why anyone would bother paying for a dedicated alcohol bottle when you can get them free anywhere.

Christopher Heine

@heine19

Locale: Colorado

Does anyone have much experience using old contact lens bottles? Do they ever pop open?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Everclear is ridiculously expensive. Your mostly paying for alcohol taxes.
    Just use hardware store denatured, yellow Heat and many, many other sources.

"Regarding the Sriracha(cock) cap. I find they leak in my pack. Good old soda bottle has proven to be the most reliable.

Yes to both. I just use SLX or other denatured alcohol. There is little difference in heating. There are many different sizes of soda bottles, from 4oz to 2Liter. These are super convenient, but do not change the cover untill you are ready to pour. Most substitute covers leak slightly, so carry the second pouring spout.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would not use a contact lens solution bottle. I always put my contact lens solution bottles in a plastic ziplock bag with my toiletries while camping and traveling, and they almost always have leaked by the time I get where I'm going. I now put in a paper towel with the bottle just to soak up some of the fluid.

Andrew

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I've been just using the actual yellow heet bottle. It's 12oz and has a good child proof lid, and for $2 it comes pre-filled with fuel! Only thing- don't peel off the foil safety deal under the cap. Just poke a small hole in it with a sharp pencil or something similar, and you have your squeeze bottle too.

Cheap, practical, and effective.

BM

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Regarding the don't peel the seal on the Heet bottle advice:
    Good point. I learned that the hard way:-(

Also, don't store alcohol in an unlined aluminum fuel bottle. Alcohol can oxidize the aluminum and eventually start leaking. Besides the aluminum fuel bottles aren't as cheap and durable as a soda bottle.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

use a bottle that is not shaped like other bottles. U dont need to buy anything. Just go through your house look for a bottle thats 12-13oz. Look for one thats a long flat shape, they just go in your bag easier than round bottles. Try to get one thats a striking color like purple or green or blue or yellow so you dont mistake it for water or something else. All you need to do is loko through your house, goto your wifes cabinet (if you have one) where she keeps those hundreds of bottles of hair/face/body/makeup/cream/whatever that she never uses. Snag one that looks like it hasn't been used in ages or is almost empty. There should be a layer of dust/dirt on if it its somewhat full. Pour it out. Wash it out for a long time, some of these substances are hard to get out. Find a top off another bottle if the one on it is unsuitable. Many bottles use the same size top.

Your welcome, save your money no need to buy something.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

to each their own…I really prefer having something I can use for multiple purposes (fuel, disinfectant, attitude adjustment) without added toxins. And I don't spend THAT many days in the backcountry each year to run up a tab, even if it is much more expensive than the alternatives. The price of one pizza is enough to supply me for at least a couple of years (with some butane trips mixed in).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I really prefer having something I can use for multiple purposes (fuel, disinfectant, attitude adjustment) without added toxins."

+1

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I can dig the preference for using Everclear.
    Another thing to consider is that some places tack additional taxes on top of the federal tax.

I know Arizona had almost half the alcohol tax that New York had. Don't know if it is true any more.

I do carry Everclear for medicinal purposes only:-)
    But I also carry denatured as Everclear is $25 a liter and denatured is $2.50 a liter. It's hard for me to justify it when the hardware store is right across the street from the liquor store.

But then again, how do i justify the cost of ultralight gear. Everclear is a drop in buck in comparison:-)

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Alcohol sales across the street from the hardware store. Put a bike / hike shop on that block and its a dangerous town for me. ;)

I just scored HEET Yellow on sale for $3 US for a pack of 4 bottles. I'm set for awhile. ;) Maybe I can use some of the money saved to add a small bottle of Scotch to my pack list.

DM

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I inherited a bottle of "U.S.I. Absolute Pure Ethyl Alcohol U.S.P. Reagent Quality", which I think is the good stuff. It had been on my dad's shelf, maybe he used a little to make a screwdriver (not sure if that was a good idea), but it passes a burn test. (And I suppose dad survived.)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Yes, that is the good stuff. Slightly more pure than Everclear and safe if diluted.
    Everclear is basically 95% pure Ethyl Alcohol.

Denatured is basically the same with some poison added in the form of wood alcohol or some other poison.

Be aware that the poison used in denatured alcohol is harmless when burned. So it is totally safe, unless you accidentally drink it.

Only in the U.S. would someone intentionally make something poisonous:-)

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

FYI, they make denatured alcohol and the like poisonous in different places, all over the world, in most cases for the same reason we have: regulation and taxing. in many of them they make it a crazy pink/purple color.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Last year, I wasn't doing any snow sports, so my stoves sat quiet over the winter. When I went on my first overnight, I used some alcohol that had sat in my dispenser bottle half full outside in the garage. Looking at it, you could see visible lines, as if two miscible fluids hadn't quite mixed completely. Using it in the stove got a horribly sooty flame, and very poor heat efficiency for cooking. My only guess was that somehow water vapor had condensed in the alcohol?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Regarding the degredation of alcohol stored over winter:
    What type of alcohol was it?
    Was there a possible leak?

I have never had issue with denatured or Ethyl, even when stored for years. I get denatured by the gallon and use it for my stove and other uses.

Talbot Hardman
    BPL Member

@talbotdale-2

Locale: Rocky Mountains

An earlier post mentioned their lens solution bottle leaking. I have my wife save the Clear Care bottle for me when she is finished.

Clear Care bottle

I use the small bottles for daytrips and overnighters. I use the large bottle (pictured) for multi-night trips. I haven't had problems with leaking, yet, and I like the squirt spout quite a bit.

Tal

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I use plastic bottles with flip tops that I got from Antigravity Gear—come in blue and green, so I don't mistake my fuel for something edible. I find the bottles from Trail Designs too difficult to get my few drops of alcohol in the primer pan, I like having a little bit of a spigot. I can't say for sure that the top was completely screwed on tight, but not too much evaporation had occured over the winter. I've been checking the partially filled bottles I have left over (stored in the house in my gear cabinet this time), and have seen no sign of those miscible lines. Have yet to fire off a test of the stove, but probably will before our first overnight this year.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> visible lines, as if two miscible fluids hadn't quite mixed completely
    Extremely unlikely that there was any separation in the bottle. Chemistry doesn't work that way. mark on the inside of the bottle would be my guess.

As to the sooty flame – what was the original stuff? Water vapour should not do that, but isopropyl will.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools