Topic

JMT timing summer 2011/walk on

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT timing summer 2011/walk on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Hello out there.

Anyone have an opinion about starting the JMT July 29 vs July 6? A bit less snow? More or less wildflowers?
    Also, does anyone know the # of walk on spots at Yellowstone- of course I can call too.

Sam.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Are you asking about walk in sites in Yellowstone, Wyoming or Yosemite, CA? And for which campgrounds in said park?

It's hard to predict weather. Both start dates would provide for an amazing trip. It's possible that there will still be some (very manageable) snow starting on July 6th. It wouldn't be much of a factor later in the year. My guess is that the later start will provide for better wildflowers. How fast will you walk? Which direction?

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Found the info about walk ons. Made a reservation for the 6th today- BUT would try walk on if I thought flowers better and easier to manage the snow. The ranger today thought 3 weeks would make a real difference.
    Planning about 15 days Tuolomne to Kearsarge and out from there.
    Would welcome any thoughts/critique.

Sam.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sam,

As you probably know, we have quite heavy snowpack this year in the Sierras.
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC

This means that the mosquitos won't thin out until late August. I think that any start date in July will mean heavy mosquito load. If you care about bugs, then the later you can go the better. July will have heavy bugs. September will be bug free, but few flowers. Early August will still be buggy, late August might or might not be bug free. If you don't care about bugs, then any July date will have great flowers.
    Amy

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Amy –

I hope you're wrong about the bugs!

But I have no reason to doubt you're right.

We're on the JMT for two weeks right in the middle of August. We'll just have to see how it goes…..

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I predict the bugs will mostly be gone by August. Certainly entirely gone by late August. Every year, the snowpack at this time looks overwhelmingly bad, and the predictions for closed routes well into August seem dire….and somehow, by the beginning of July the trail is mostly clear of snow, and by the end of the month the bugs are mostly gone.

The long days in June will do the trick again this year…

Cheers!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Lets hope so, I leave July 25th

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools