Topic

Cricket has arrived

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cricket has arrived

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Anyone know why the Cuben .55 version does not come with linelocs? I am assuming it has an increased risk of tearing with tension, but I would not think it would be THAT fragile?

Russell Jacobie

@flyer4food

Locale: Sierras

Have you tried the Gatewood Cape?
    Innernet 8oz $120
    Tent/Cape 11oz $135

So at 19oz and 255, it's $40 less and you get a Poncho. Looks like a pretty similar setup except you don't get the porch, still, I like the poncho option. Now I have a new tent to add to my list of maybes.

BTW I just got the tarptent contrail.. it's OK, but not as versatile as I'd like.

Russell Jacobie

@flyer4food

Locale: Sierras

Just to add Mountail Laurel designs lists this as setup time:

" Set up of the fly or the whole tent is easily under 2min after a little practice. I've done it in 55 sec."

That's sounds pretty optimistic, especially if you're looking for a nice tight setup.

Just curious does it have a door? Wind/rain combo would blow right under that vestibule overhang.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

"Anyone know why the Cuben .55 version does not come with linelocs? I am assuming it has an increased risk of tearing with tension, but I would not think it would be THAT fragile?"

Rob,
    I think the idea is simply weight savings. If you are looking for the lighter weight cuben Ron is assuming you will want to reduce weight as much as possible. I am sure he would add them on if you wanted it. I know on most of his shelters he does say in the description that you can cut the linelocks off in order to save additional weight.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

"Anyone know why the Cuben .55 version does not come with linelocs? I am assuming it has an increased risk of tearing with tension, but I would not think it would be THAT fragile?"

Ahh! That would make sense. Thanks

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Thanks Brad for the info and feedback.

We are updating the set up instructions to make it easier based on Brad's great feedback. After a couple of set ups it should all go up in about two minutes. The inner can be left attached to the outter. The inital set up is slower since you need to attach the inner the first time and figure out your pole lengths- like te first time pitching a tarp.

The .55 version can have cordlocks but we were guessing users for that super light weight version would be cutting them off anyway. We included the mini linelock kit for that version.

The Cricket and Solo Trailstar are crossover LW shelters, a lot more protectiom than a tarp and more of an open experience than a closed tent. It's also modular and versatile. It's a trade off…users who need more protection of a fully closed shelter should go for the SoloMid or DuoMid. The front overhang is enough to stop most all rain and the windscreen lower solid panel on the InnerNet should stop any small amount of blown or bounced rain that get underneath, of course capsite selection is key just like with a tarp.

I will try to make a set up video this week.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

mine arrived, with 7" of fresh snow on the ground I'll probably wait a bit to set it up, looking forward to seeing Ron's video to shorten my learning curve :)

also can Ron or Brad comment on suggested guy lengths?

tia

Mike

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Can we see storm mode in the video too? Last thing I want to see before clicking the buy button.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Got the setup down and ready to seam seal tomorrow. Passed all the at home test and is ready for the field. I've done a 180 in the last 24 hours. Thanks for all the help Ron.

Pictures of storm mode.storm mode 1Storm mode 2Storm mode 3

Brad

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Wow, looking good Brad! Looks like there should be plenty of coverage in storm mode. Now to decide between this and a Hexamid!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Going from normal to storm mode was real fast.

– Main pole inside. Just move to one side
    – Front pole. Adjusted the length shorter and reattached. Tightened line.
    – Shortened all the corner guylines and back guyline. Tightened line.
    – Minor tweaking. IE, adjusted inside pole by sliding to make a little taller. Tightened things up nice.

30-60 seconds.

Brad

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for the pics Brad.

Still not low enough for me for 'storm mode.' Nuts.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Nice looking pitch Brad, I can't wait to hear your field report.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

David,

You might be able to go lower, but I didn't try. IMHO it would take a horizontal rain to get inside at that height. If you go much lower you will need to crawl on your belly to enter and exit the shelter (well at least I would. Not known for my limbo skills).

The test trip will most likely be in the Mt Rogers area next week/weekend. Long range forecast is showing one day with .8 inches of rain. It's usually windy on the open ridges, so could be a good test case.

Brad

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks for posting pictures and your observations, Brad. I'm trying to decide between the GG One and the Cricket, can you post some pictures and provide any comments that might help in making this decision? THANK YOU!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

That is an incredibly sexy tent. I want one. Too bad I've already used up my summer's gear-allowance. Thanks for the pictures, though. Maybe in a few years I'll take the plunge and get my first piece of cuben gear.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Terri,

I have both shelters and like them both.

– similar weight
    – GG is a one piece shelter whereas the Cricket is two pieces. When bugs are not an issue I will leave the innernet at home.

I bought the Cricket to solve two issues I was having with the GG One and MLD Solomid:
    1. During the rain when you enter and exit the shelter water will get inside the shelter
    2. During the rain or wind it is nice to cook while protected by your shelter. The porch on the Cricket will allow me to do this with some protection.

Neither are real big issues, but are improvements for me. Others would see no value in these.

Brad

Ryan W

@mwilks

Nice pics. Hopefully you get out soon and enjoy the view from inside the shelter looking out.

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks Brad,

I'm a shorty, so I'll need the 12 inch supplemental pole, so I'll have a little bit of a weight differential. I hike mostly in the Sierra's so I don't get the rain like you do, but I like the versatility that the Cricket offers. I'd really like to try a tarp and the Cricket offers that while providing a comfort zone (both mental and environmental). Inside pics when you get a chance? :-)

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Terri,
    I used a MLD Grace Duo and Katabatic bivy last year in the Sierra's. Worked fine. However the bugs were bad in early August, so an inner net would have been much nicer. I'm going to use the Cricket this year in September on my trip to the Sierra's.

I think your assessment of the Cricket as a good option/step toward a tarp is dead on. You get the view and openness of a tarp, while having some comfort.

My planning on seam sealing tomorrow and will take some inside pics.

Brad

David Ure

@familyguy

Brad – you may be right with respect to the overhang.

Look forward to seeing the pics of the inner net tent and how much room there is….

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Looks like a winner to me.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I am pretty much sold on this tent. Now I just need to come up with $300.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Would love to see the pros/cons on this vs a hexamid. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Hey Brad, how tall are you, and what size sleeping bag do you use? How much space (head room) do you find you have inside the cricket?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools