Topic

First UL List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First UL List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Eagle

@zeagle

Hi Everyone,

Here is my first gear list. Please let me know what I can do to lighten up or if I am missing anything obvious.

I know that I am going to get the following items:

Sleeping Quilt
    Rain Jacket
    Down Jacket
    Mug/pot

Zachary's List

Thanks!

Zachary

BTW: I do most of my hiking in the Pacific Northwest, mostly in the summer and rarely longer than one week at a time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Zachary, you might want to mention where you operate. A list suitable for a three-day trip in Florida might not make any sense for a two-week trip in Alaska.

–B.G.–

Zachary Eagle

@zeagle

Fixed. Thanks Bob.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

Nice list Zachary. Here is my two cents:
    You could get lighter stakes like the TiGoat ones which weight 0.24 oz each http://www.titaniumgoat.com/stakes.html.

The GoLite quilt (26 oz) is nice as is the Western Mountaineering Highlite (16 oz)

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=16 which is what is currently in my list.

Aqua Mira is a great water treatment system for under an oz when repackaged and I believe that Gossamer Gear has the repacking bottles available with the Aqua Mira

http://gossamergear.com/etc/hydration.html.

As for a toothbrush you can pick up a finger tip toothbrush at any pet store that won't even read on my scale :) and you can make tooth powder from 2 parts baking soda to one part salt and repackage as you will for less then 0.25 oz.

Great Work!

Zachary Eagle

@zeagle

Justin,

Thanks for all the tips. As for my sleeping system, the WM is tempting, but I am leaning toward the Golite Ultralight 3 Season. The golite costs lest than the WM and is rated to 20*F while the WM is only a 35*F.

Zachary

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice list!

Can't go wrong w/Montbell, IMO. Everything that I own, I like. I lust after a few other items from them, as well!

A compactor bag should weigh 2.5oz.

A polycro groundsheet should weigh about and ounce for 1, 2-3 for 2 people, etc. I use window shrink film from ACE Hardware for cheap – same material.

Many good poly long johns out there. No need to spend much to get good ones. My confortrel from Sierra Trading Post have lasted yrs, are light & warm.

There's a great Ti pot set w/ pouch & spork for around $30 in Gear Swap right now. I don't like sporks, but if I was looking for a good deal that's it!

For the money I find Golite's quilts hard to beat. Esp the construction and width.

Zachary Eagle

@zeagle

Thanks Todd,

I think I have long underwear pants somewhere, I just need to locate them and see if I am happy with them. Thanks for the tip on the pot I am also looking at something like this:
    Snow Peak 600

It weighs only 2.8oz.

As for the quilt. I am looking at a Golite Ultralite 3 Season 20*F quilt that weighs 24oz for $220 shipped. What do you guys think about that quilt is it too heavy? too expensive?

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you go with the Golite Ultralight 3 20*F quilt, on Geartrade there is one for $170 + shipping through backcountry.com returns…

http://www.geartrade.com/item/189285

Zachary Eagle

@zeagle

Thanks Ryan,

I looked at the geartrade listing but I really like Backcountry's return policy plus I have a gift card for Amazon so I think I can buy it through Backcountry's Amazon store and use up my gift card.

Zachary

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Golite Jam2 2009 version

A dependable "entry" pack into the lightweight camping mindset.

compactor bag

available at any grocery store. About 4 bucks for a box of 5.

Ground Cloth

(see below)

Considering MYOG Quilt or possibly a golite quilt

The quilts from GoLite are excellent. I would invest in a BIVY sack and NIX the groundcloth, especially if tarp camping.
    I use the *Golite Ultralite 3 Season 20*F quilt that weighs 24oz* and I love it!

Snow peak – stove

I always advocate nixing the canister stoves and going with a tiny alcohol stove. More fun, and you get MYOG points.

Gravity Pump – 15 oz???

THe PNW has some of the cleanest water on the planet! Don't you dare take a 15 ounce filter! I drink almost always without any filter or treatment at all! Take a tiny set of repackaged AquaMira.

DriDucks?

THese are awesome for anywhere on earth BUT the pacific northwest. This is the place where a real rain parka is essential. THe only flaw to the DriDucks is they end up getting trashed with a lot of use. Better for a dry environment where it rains only sporadically.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools