Topic

Selway Bitterroot Wilderness, Idaho

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Selway Bitterroot Wilderness, Idaho

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Well this trip is from last September, but I'm getting all excited for this season, and realized I never posted this trip report.

Me and a friend decided that we needed to get one more quick backpacking trip in before it got too cold here in northern Idaho. Looking at a map, we decided to take a trip down to the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness.

It was about a 5 hour drive from my apartment, mainly because the ~20 mile dirt road to the trailhead was in such bad shape. There was a few times where my truck was in 4-lo and I was still thinking I might not make it.

Along that dirt road, looking towards the crags
    selway1

We reached the trailhead at about noon, and got on the trail right away.
    selway2

The views were stunning right from the get go. After about 3-4 miles we came upon a nice looking basin, and on the other side of that basin were some lakes that we were going to fish and camp at that night.
    selway3

The trail meandered through bushes and grass, the fall colors were really starting to show
    selway4
    selway5

We made our way along this ridge
    selway6

Looking down on a bog
    selway7

Right after I took that picture of the swamp, we came across some bear hunters who had just got a large bear. We talked to them for awhile, and told them the name of the lake we were going to for the night. They said they had hiked in this area for a long time, and to follow the trail to the right when it split to have a more scenic hike to the lake. Our map said to go left at the fork in the trail, but we decided to trust these guys and see where it led us.

Fall colors
    selway8selway9

selway10

At this point we were pretty sure the bear hunters had led us the wrong way. The trail was making no indication that it was ever going to go towards the direction we wanted to go, so we started hiking off trail towards the main ridge to get our bearings. When we reached the top, it was easy to see where we needed to go, and we got to the lake no problem.
    The lake we stayed at
    selway11

After a cold night, woke up the next morning to some cloudy weather, with small amounts of snow starting to fall.
    selway12
    selwayy

We then gathered all of our stuff together and headed up to the top of the ridge to make our way back to the trailhead.
    selway 13

Views along the way back
    selway14
    selway15

It was a great short trip. Right around 14 miles total, and total time of the trip was about 30 hours. Normally I would have liked to covered more miles and explore more areas, but my friend who I hike with isnt exactly UL, and 7 miles in an afternoon was a bit for a non-ULer. Fun time with great colors though, enjoyed it.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Looks like a great area. The views are amazing, good job !

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Great photos. I really love the fall colors! Good way to wrap up the season before winter started to set in.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Beautiful. Is this the same area sometimes called Selway Crags?

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

David, yep those are the crags. It was a nice loop, and I definitely want to go back there sometime and explore more of the area. Being in northern Idaho, there is all sorts of good backpacking withing a few hours drive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools