Topic

What to use for the floor of a bug bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What to use for the floor of a bug bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I am making a simple bug bivy for summer use I have some ripstop nylon I could coat would that be enough for the floor ? I understand the hh on It is probaly not the best but here in mexico the ground is almost never saturated enough to make that a promblem the floor is more to keep the pad and bag clean and protected from sharp objects

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You could just build the entire thing out of 1.25 oz tyvek.
    Other than that I would say 1oz silnylon for the bottom.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Whether we are talking about a bug bivvy or a regular bivvy, most people use some fabric that is fairly waterproof for the bottom. That suggests coated ripstop nylon, silnylon, or spinnaker fabric. I used the latter becaused it seemed to be the lightest in weight at the time.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have an old GG Spinnaker sheet. It is 24 inches wide and 72 inches long. It weighs a few ounces and works great…in fact, I have had it now for 5 years

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Make it out of anything and use Suluk46's 1/8" X 25" X 74 Padded Ground Sheet foam pad as your ground sheet. This is what I often do. I think it weighs 2 oz or so. If you need more cushion, bring another thicker pad.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It might be challenging to construct, but it'd be pretty slick to use the ground sheet as the floor for the bivy. In this case, a Suluk46 pad. I've thought about doing this with an inflatable pad…

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I plan on doing exactly that. I've got a good stash of 1.1oz ripstop leftover from my 8×10 tarp project (uncoated) that I intend to use as the floor of the smd meteor bivy, and will coat them both myself. We'll see how big of a mess I can make with the diluted silicone. I imagine I should wear some hobo clothes that I can just toss when I'm done…

I just need to buy the water proof breathable fabric for the top, and some netting and I'm good to go.

BM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools