Topic

BPL Ti Mini-Kettle Teaser

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info BPL Ti Mini-Kettle Teaser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

y’all write some of the funniest descriptions. they’re a hoot to read. personally, i read the descriptions even of the items i’ll probably never buy just to have a good chuckle.

i think we need a “Laughitude Award” or some such thing – b/t BPL.com and MLD/Ron Bell; it’s going to be a tough call as to the winner.

paul johnson

@pj

DrJ,

Does it make any sense to make a different version of the 500ml pot with different dimensions?

What i’m thinking of is WIDE (~4.75″ or so – i’ll leave that up to your better judgement) and LOW, so that it will achieve two purposes: 1) allow the use of some alc. stoves that would otherwise spill their flame up the side of the pot, and 2) provide for faster, more efficient, water heating (i hesitate to use the word boil – other than for the rare water purification necessity).

I have some nice alc. stoves that really do put out the heat (MiniBullDesign pressurized stoves), but are wasteful when used with a small mug/pot.

Is this of interest to anyone? If so, please reply and maybe it will happen.

EDIT:

Let me clarify. Many nice alc. stoves that integrate a potstand are SIDE-BURNERS. Based upon my use of other 450 and 600 ml mugs, these side-burners WILL spill flame up the side – not very efficient, hence i don’t use them if i’m taking a 450 or 600 mug. Unlike gas stoves, there is no flame adjustability with the pressurized side-burner alc. stoves that i’m familiar with.

[Note: Roger correctly quoted my mis-wording, which i’ve since corrected.]

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

I fully agree that sensible pots are ‘short and fat’ rather than ‘tall and thin’ for maximum heating area, but the BPL mini kettle is quite good in this respect. I have an identical pot, or rather, mug (but without the BPL logo) and it works very well on stoves with a large burner head, such as the Coleman Fyrestorm.

The pot is too small for me to use on its own, but is very useful as a mug that can also be used on the stove.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> What i’m thinking of is WIDE (~4.75″ or so – i’ll leave that up to your better judgement) and LOW, so that achieve two purposes: 1) allow the use of some alc. stoves that would otherwise spill their flame up the side of the pot, and 2) provide for faster, more efficient, water heating

YES YES YES!

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Paul,
    You might check out the smaller Evernew 0.9 pot.

It’s wide and short, and weighs about 4 oz, but that’s with the heavy lid. I was really surprised when I weighed it without the lid: 2.7 oz, and that’s with the rubber covered handles, which can be removed. That’s lighter than a Snow Peak 600, which weighs 2.8 oz, and it has a higher capacity.

Dan

paul johnson

@pj

Dan,

good suggestion. i’ll look into it. i never would have thought to check it out on my own (900ml doesn’t pass through the “gear filters”).

when i first starting reading your post, i stopped at the “0.9” and thought “weigh” (pun intended) too heavy, because of what i thought that the weight would be.

then i read on, and hit the “about 4 oz”, and thought (before continuing reading – all of this thus far happening in a second or two), “Dan’s missing the whole point of my Post – maybe i wasn’t clear in explaining my intent”.

then finished reading your Post and so finally understood, once i grasped the intent and meaning of your Post, that there was a “method to your madness” [“madness”, or so seeming to me at the time as i read] as opposed to my normal “madness to my method” which often conforms to one of my company’s mottos “Ready!… Fire!… Aim!” (actually, my company’s motto is “At [co. name omitted] we’re not happy until you’re not happy!”).

since i normally use Al foil as a lid, why not the 0.9? i’ll look into it and see what the pot diameter is and if that will suffice for some of these MBD hi-output (for an Alc. stove) pressurized side-burners.

larger capacity for me won’t be an issue, since sometimes i get by with just a 450ml mug, not that the extra capacity couldn’t be used at times (one heating instead of two – first hot 450ml into the bag for oatmeal, second heating for some hot green tea).

many thanks,
    pj

EDIT:
    ok. took a quick gander at it on the REI.com website.

not the best handle configuration for use as a mug since it places the wrist in an unnatural position when sipping (it’s really a pot that i’d like to use as a mug), but a minor concession, IMHO; plus the handles could be removed for even a greater weight savings, or simply folded after using them to remove the pot from the stove and before drinking – simple enough. In summer when i don’t have any gloves with me, a spare sock is easily “conscripted” into service as a pot grabber/holder; plus i never drink tea too hot as i easily burn my mouth & tongue and so normally add some ambient temp water to it after steeping and before drinking and also let the tea (and its mug/pot) cool a bit before drinking.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ryan,
    The handleless pot looks perfect.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

I’ll take some measurements when I get home. I’ll also weight it without the handles (they are easily removed and reinstalled again).

Dan

paul johnson

@pj

thanks Dan. appreciate it.

BTW, i don’t know how i missed it b/f, but that sure is a great little cutie with you in the pic, bet she’s just adorable.

thanks again for you suggestion.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Here are my measurements for the Evernew 0.9 Titanium pot:

Pot with handles 2.75 oz
    Lid 1.25 oz

Total with lid 4.0 oz

handles 0.6 oz (easily removed and reinstalled)

Pot less handles 2.1 oz

A pie tin foil lid can be made for about 0.1 oz so the lightest configuration, pot less handles with foil lid would be about 2.2 oz

Pot is about 5.4 inches dia by 2.85 inches high.

paul johnson

@pj

Dan, many thanks for the all of the help you’ve given me and for taking your valuable time to perform the weighings. I think your suggestion is the ticket for some of those hi-o.p. pressurized side-burners from Tinny over at MBD. That 5.4″ dia. should do the trick.

Now if i could just keep from spilling hot O-Cha all over me when trying to drink from an over-square container.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Is the Evernew pot available separately or as a set only? Might make a good little Christmas present for my friend :D

paul johnson

@pj

D G
    Spectator

@dang

I’ve only seen the Evernew stuff at REI. Not sure of the relationship, maybe REI is the importer or something.

You can either buy from REI off the web, or if you have an REI close buy, and they don’t stock it, you can order off the web and do a store pickup. The advantage of this is that you don’t pay shipping.

Dan

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Christopher, the flagship store in LoDo has it on the shelf or at least it did the last time I was in there. I think your friend will love it. I’ve had mine for a number of years and always marvel at how perfect it is for the job.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools