Topic

Which bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I am looking for a bivy to use under my echo 1 tarp I want it light with a mesh panel for the upper body if not a whole mesh top I would like it under 8 ounces as well what's out there ? Smd meteor what else?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Check out these bivies from Oware – they seem to be what you are looking for:

Simple bivy and Hot weather bivy

There is a sale going on that ends today – you get 15% off and free shipping. My two-person bivy from Oware just arrived yesterday and came in 1.7 oz under the specified weight.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

There is also the TiGoat Bug Bivy.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I like the ti goat but I think the meteor fits my needs best it looks like you can attach the bug netting to your tarp to get head room with the little d loop on the mesh is that right ?

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

The MLD Superlight bivy can be purchased with an optional all mesh head area. Might be less mesh than you are looking for though

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

Hi Will. The TiGOat Bivy I have has an attachment on it on it for attaching the bug netting to the tarp etc. just like your looking for. Although I have the Ptarmigan with the full mesh hood rather then just the bug bivy. Weighs in on my scale at 7.25 oz with the stuff sack.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Most bug bivys have a loop to hang the bugnet from. I find the Meteor most comfortable in warmish weather as there is more mesh than other bivys. Having the lower half water resistant means you still get protection under a tarp.

I actually often use the Meteor in the winter, it does reduce drafts, holding in a good amount of warmth and does an OK job of holding back spray and spindrift.

I also have the Oware drawstring bivy. It is not as easy to get in and out of, but offers more protection in bad weather. I use the Oware mostly as an emergency shelter for day hikes and long kayak day trips.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Oo I like that bear paw too but I like the bottom half of the meteor being nylon instead of mesh keep the suggestions coming

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I'm sorry I thought you said in your original post you were also interested in an all mesh top also.

Shane Reed
    BPL Member

@sreed24

I'd contact John at Bearpaw, he can most likely make exactly what you want, rather quickly too. Good luck

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

John has done custom work for me, and the results exceeded expectations. He is a first rate professional and has a quick turn time.

Regards,
    John

Mike Knapp

@idahomike

Locale: Idaho

Nobody has mentioned Katabatic Gear bivys. I am shopping bivys as well right now and this is the top of my list. I have a Katabatic Gear quilt, and I love it. Excellent workmanship. I like the Bristlecone bivy with the bug mesh window and half zipper at 6.8 oz. I don't own it yet….anyone have experience using a Katabatic bivy?

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I love my ptarmigan bivy. I find bivies so useful and i ordered the one with a net hood. I don't have the katabatic bivy but i chose the ptarmigan one because of the hooded version so in a real downpour i wanted to make sure the mesh wasn't touching the floor since i don't use a groundsheet.

Keith Craigs

@keithcraigs

I'm also shopping for a head netted bivy – Can people who comment on what they own also say what fits? I'm 6 even and would like to use my neoair and down to a 20F down bag. I've read elsewhere that with this combination (tall/winter bag/thick pad) it's difficult to find a large enough bivy. I was dead set on a ptarmigan until I read it would be a tight fit, especially in the foot area.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I have also heard that a ptarmigan bivy will not fit a neoair well. I use a 3/4 foam pad so that does not affect me. Titanium goat also has a raven bivy which is suppose to be bigger and if you are concerned about fit maybe thats the one you need. I think the katabatic bivy is also bigger than the ptarmigan bivy as well.

Keith Craigs

@keithcraigs

I'm a side sleeper – thin pads don't do my shoulders any favors… I've looked at the Katabatic bivys awhile ago and decided that they were cut specifically for their quilts

jim jessop

@luckyjim

Yes the Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy is superb.

It's wide enough for me as a restless side sleeper and the side zip makes loads of difference to usability, allowing you to sit up easily in the bivy if you use your pad inside it.

Mark Roberts
    BPL Member

@redwedge

Locale: Lapland

I have a Katabatic Bivy and love it. The net is large, the design is great, the quality is excellent. Aaron responded to a minor complaint and improved the zip stop design.

A brief review is here:
    http://backpackingnorth.blogspot.com/2010/09/katabatic-gear-bristlecone-bivy.html

And the updated zip stop here:
    http://backpackingnorth.blogspot.com/2010/10/katabatic-bristlecone-update.html

There is plenty of room for a NeoAir or POE pad inside, and the corner stake out points are very useful.

Incidentally, I had a problem with the TiGoat bivy – the tie out point is attached directly to the mesh, and is more prone to ripping than the Bristlecone, where the tie is attached to stronger material near the zipper.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have used a neo air and a poe Peak Elite AC without any problems ( I am a side sleeper)

Keith Craigs

@keithcraigs

Thanks – do you use a full sleeping bag or one of their quilts? Did you end up getting a wider version to fit the larger pad?

Mark Roberts
    BPL Member

@redwedge

Locale: Lapland

Both – I use a full WM bag in winter, and a GoLite quilt the rest of the time. I got the 6'6" one – they didn't offer a wide when I got mine. I'm a side sleeper also, and I find it's fine, but if I was buying one new I'd probably get the wide, just for the sake of added flexibility.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

We've been using our 6 ounce Oware drawcord bivies for a few years. Although the top entry drawcord does make it a bit more difficult to get into the bivy, its simplicity and weight more than compensates. I think they still cost around $100.

Tarp Camp

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Can the mld bug bivy fit a medium neoair ?

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I spent last night at a 10,000 peak feet due to a knee injury and the fact I couldn't safely get down the trail due to high winds and a bad trail I didnt pitch my tarp due to the fact it was windy 50-60 mile per hour gusts so I just layed my ground cloth pad and bag down in attempt to get some sleep temps were in the high 30s i was in a bag that is comfortable to freezing but with every gust I could feel the wind pulling the heat out of the bag I know a biivy would have helped a ton but how much good does a bug bivy do? Does it block any wind? I am torn between bivys like the montbell bag cover and others for the great protection from wind and spray I currently own a marmot Alpinist but it's just to heavy so I want something simpler and lighter but on the other spectrum I would like the head room and lack of condensation a bug bivy would provide " and obviously bug protection" is there any bivys that have a mesh upper panel as well as a solid panel that can roll out of the way or zip shut for wind and spray protection? Maybe a myog project

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools