Topic

Questions about Thru-hiker Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Questions about Thru-hiker Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Eagle

@zeagle

Hi,

So I think I have settled on making my own quilt, specifically, a thru-hiker type quilt. My questions are:

Would you make any modifications to this design? If so, what?

Through the magical powers of the internet I found a diagram that originally accompanied the thru-hiker directions. It can be found here:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20081202175810im_/http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-down-quilt/quilt01.gif

This is great because the directions were rather short. However, it seems to be missing a measurement. Could anyone tell me what the second lengthwise measurement should be? (The length of the part that tapers from 50" to 42").

Finally, could anyone expand on the details of the footbox construction?
    Thanks!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I've put together some instructions the might help. Realize these are for sewn thru baffles with a draw cord footbox, but seeing another set my give another perspective.

I'm not sure where JP start's his taper, but many folks do it at the midpoint in the length. I did mine 1/3 Length from top / 2/3 length from bottom and it worked fine. Just make sure to adjust down calcs based on each baffle's actual volume.

The link to the pdf can be found on the page here…
    Summer_Quilt

Jamie

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was looking for the thread with your link, Jamie

That is a nice looking quilt and good instructions

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

"I've put together some instructions the might help. Realize these are for sewn thru baffles with a draw cord footbox, but seeing another set my give another perspective.

I'm not sure where JP start's his taper, but many folks do it at the midpoint in the length. I did mine 1/3 Length from top / 2/3 length from bottom and it worked fine. Just make sure to adjust down calcs based on each baffle's actual volume.

The link to the pdf can be found on the page here…
    Summer_Quilt

Jamie"

I will be following Jamie's guide, with the Thru-Hiker Kit Materials. I think sewn through is fine for a summer quilt, especially in the SE. The only changes I am going to make are:

1.) Going to make it out of M90 instead of M50, as that is what the Thru-Hiker kit contains.
    2.) Going to make it wider than Jamie's, probably around 55 inches wide.
    3.) Going to sew in the footbox.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

"1.) Going to make it out of M90 instead of M50, as that is what the Thru-Hiker kit contains.
    2.) Going to make it wider than Jamie's, probably around 55 inches wide.
    3.) Going to sew in the footbox."

Sounds like you'll be making my quilt, give or take.

Made with Jamie's instructions, 54" width (very generous for my scrawny self, but good for my propensity to toss and turn), sewn-in footbox, made with .9 oz ripstop from OWFInc (cheaper than the M90 at TH).

If you're making a summer quilt, you may rethink buying the TH kit as it contains far too much down, noseeum you don't need, and costs more than just buying the fabric from OWF and the down from TH separately. You don't save much though, and if you sell the extras you don't use from TH's kit, you'll probably end up ahead.

There's a thread on my quilt in MYOG section too if you care to dig for it, it was within the last 2 months or so. Might give you some ideas on the sewn-in footbox and such. Feel free to PM if you have questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools