Topic

Ride to Road’s End (Copper Creek trailhead) in Kings Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Ride to Road’s End (Copper Creek trailhead) in Kings Canyon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

I'm looking for a ride to to Road's End (the Copper Creek trailhead) in Kings Canyon sometime late in early August/ late July. I'm attempting to do the Sierra High Route with a fellow BPL member who'll be coming from the east side of the sierras. If you're interested in joining us for all or part of the our trip that would be fine. I'd be happy to help with gas and driving on the way. I'm located in the north bay and can get myself to most places in the bay area. PM me if you're heading that way, I would really love a ride!

Thanks!

Emily Shirley

@goldenchild

Locale: Atlanta GA

I am planning on doing it as well. I'm still looking for a ride out from Fresno…Aug 10 or 11th. Let me know if your headed out that way then, or when you're planning to start. I'm flying in from Atlanta, but haven't booked my flight yet. Fresno seems the closest… if you have any other airport recommendations let me know!

– Golden Child

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Royal, Emily if you guys can make it to Fresno I can give you a ride to Roads End. I live in Bakersfield Ca. which is about an 1 hr 45 min south of Fresno, then from Fresno its about a 2 1/2- 3 hr drive. It's a beautiful drive once you start up the mountain. I have a park pass, so you won't have to pay to get in, the only draw back is, it would have to be on a weekend day, since I work 9-6 m-f. Let me know what you guys think, no need for gas money just glad to help out if I can. The sooner you come up with a date, the better it will be for me to block out that weekend to take you guys up, I also have a 2nd job on the weekends, but it's more flexible. Jack

kevin smith

@divr6347

don t know if this helps but im avalible on mondays if you want to leave on a weekday i also live in bakersfield (down the street from my hiking partner jumpbackjack )

i could do it sunday or monday if you guys can make it out for a start on either of those days just need a week or so notice so i can plan for it

kevin

Emily Shirley

@goldenchild

Locale: Atlanta GA

Kevin/Jack!!

Your kindness astounds me. It's an extremely long drive, and thank you for offering!
    Unfortunately for me, the trip isn't feasible if I were to leave on a weekend or Monday. My work is unique in that, if I get 40 hrs in before Thursday… I can leave. This cuts back on the number of vacation hours I have to log, so I can do other trails/trips!

Thank you for being so kind in offering! I hope Royal can take you up on it!

– Emily

Royal Magnell

@blueman

That's quite the offer! I may just take one of you up on it. Steve Silva and I are planning on leaving on the 1st of August so I'm hoping to be at road's end by Sunday the 31th of July (aka, the day before). When would you guys need to know if I decide to take you up on your very kind shuttle offer?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Royal, I can do July 31st, shouldn't be a problem, if something comes up you can use Kevin as the backup if he's free that day. If you can make it to Fresno I can take you the rest of the way. REI in Fresno might be a good place to meet, that way if you forget something you can pick it up there. How are you going to get back?

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Okay, sweet! REI would probably be a great meeting place. I like how you think =) I'm planning on hitch-hiking back to the Bay Area. I don't think it'll be hard to hitch across Tuolumne Meadows and from that area I think that it'll be fairly easy to find someone heading to the Bay Area. Besides, hitching should be an adventure, right? From there I should be able to get my family to come and get me. I just don't want to hitch to Road's End. I don't know enough about the place and I doubt nearly and many people go there.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Royal, sounds good, I'll put it on my calader, you might want to remind me with a pm when it gets closer, or you can call me, I will pm you my phone #

kevin smith

@divr6347

if the plan is to get you there on the 31 st (sunday ) i may ride up with jack
    seeing as how he is right around the corner from me

maybe we can day hike up to mist falls just to get a few miles in if jackis up for it

keep us posted

kevin

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

If you need any beta on the SHR let me know. I've hiked it straight through x2 and in pieces at least one more time.

KSawchuk at gmail dot com

Hannes Horst

@hochtourist

Hi guys,

browsing the internet, I just stumbled across this thread. I have the same problem as Emily and Royal: I plan to attempt the SHR but haven't figured out yet how to get to Road's End. So, if any of you has a suggestion how to find a ride, I would highly appreciate it.

My planning regarding transportation may have been somewhat optimistic in the first place: I have reserved the permit for August 15th and arrive at Fresno airport the day before around half past seven. Well, as I said, any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers from Germany

Hannes

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Hannes, do you arrive at Fresno airport on Sun. Aug 14th 7:00 am or pm? I may be able to give you a ride if it's Sun. 7:00 am, if not maybe Kevin can give you a lift, since he's off on Mondays.

Hannes Horst

@hochtourist

Jack, this is very kind! Thanks a lot for the offer. Unfortunately, I will arrive 7:30 p.m. As I said, the planning may have been a bit optmistic. ;)
    Well, if Kevin or someone else could give me a lift, that would be awesome. Getting a ride from a fellow backpacker would definitely beat pretty much every alternative (not that there seem to be that many…)

Cheers
    Hannes

kevin smith

@divr6347

hannes

i can give you a ride to roads end for a 15 th departure

my suggestion would be this if you are going to be arriving in fresno on sunday evening could you book a place to stay for that evening and i could meet you at rei
    in fresno on monday morning ?? the permit office at roads end will not open until
    7 am on monday so even if you were to arrive in roads end sunday evening
    you couldn t get your permit until after 7 am i will drive up monday morning and pick you up at rei then we can head to roads end so you can grab your permit and head out again this is only a suggestion but it seems the best way for me to help you out it will be cool to meet another bpl er from another region
    there are plenty of rooms availible in fresno and probably some close to rei so it shouldn t be an issue to find a place to stay on sunday evening if you need help finding a hotel let me know and ill see if i can help you out with it

please let me know if this could work for you and if so i will mark it on my calender so i don t make any other plans that day

cheers
    kevin

Hannes Horst

@hochtourist

Wow, you guys are great! :-)

Kevin, you suggestion sounds perfect to me. I have no doubt it should be easy to find a place to stay in Fresno and this way I can enjoy one last night in a bed before setting out. Just to be sure: REI in Blackstone Ave, is that the place?
    Well, I suggest we discuss the other details via PM.

Thank you very much and Cheers

Hannes

kevin smith

@divr6347

hannes

you are correct rei is on north blackstone just inside the shopping mall

we can meet there and grab a coffee for the ride to roads end

feel free to pm me any time if you need help with lodging in fresno or any other help

cheers

kevin

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools