Topic

This forum is going to put me in the poor house…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals This forum is going to put me in the poor house…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

This forum is going to put me in the poor house… one great deal at a time!

Since I started frequenting this place, I've picked up a sleeping bag, platy hoser, down vest, a mess of stuff from U.S. Plastic, and a handful of other things!

If there's one thing this forum will do, it'll help you lighten your load… My wallet gets a little lighter every time I log on!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Welcome to the club.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Welcome to the club?? You mean, welcome to the disease

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Since I started frequenting this place, I've picked up a sleeping bag, platy hoser, down vest, a mess of stuff from U.S. Plastic, and a handful of other things!"

Now is a good time to consider replacing your pack with a lighter, smaller volume UL version. ZPacks is well worth a look. Also, have you thought about replacing your boots with a pair of trail runners?

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

lol-> The Gear Enabler

Steve Clark
    BPL Member

@petuni

Locale: Quispamsis

I hear you!! I am just glad I have a second address so my wife does not know half the gear I have bought since I have started using BPL ! ;)

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

I thought backpacking was a cheap lifestyle once someone bought all the ideal gear. Well, I bought all the gear and am finding myself replacing the gear I already had to replace the gear. Now I am trying to get rid of the stuff I really don't need. It appears to be a death spiral that BPL sucks you into. MAKE IT STOP! Oh how I wish I could go into the past and tell myself "buy this, this, and this and everything will be good." At least there is Gear Swap and eBay.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Rotate the gear Posted 04/14/2011 21:15:55 MDT by Ryan Christman (radio_guy)
    I thought backpacking was a cheap lifestyle once someone bought all the ideal gear. Well, I bought all the gear and am finding myself replacing the gear I already had to replace the gear. Now I am trying to get rid of the stuff I really don't need. It appears to be a death spiral that BPL sucks you into. MAKE IT STOP! Oh how I wish I could go into the past and tell myself "buy this, this, and this and everything will be good." At least there is Gear Swap and eBay.

It's funny, I don't remember things being this bad, before the Internet started. It's not just hiking gear either, it's everything and it's because it's all at the tip of our fingers. I don't even want to think about how many thousands I've dropped into the ever evolving digital camera market, over the past ten years. I just want to get off this expensive ride, ha ha, but I think the only way off, is to stay off this dang computer. :)

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Buying more gear is the punishment we get for being online instead of being outside. How many of you have bought stuff you ended up upgrading before you had a chance to use it? :)

Mike
    Who wishes he had more outside time

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> Now is a good time to consider replacing your pack with a lighter, smaller volume UL version. ZPacks is well worth a look. Also, have you thought about replacing your boots with a pair of trail runners?

They're both in the works… I've picked out the pack (SMD Traveler). Just waiting for it to go on sale at a time when I actually have money. I'm waiting to drop another 40 pounds before trying trail runners.

>> I hear you!! I am just glad I have a second address so my wife does not know half the gear I have bought since I have started using BPL ! ;)

If I don't knock it off, I'll have a second address, too. The one I'm living at, and the one I'm sending the alimony to.

>> How many of you have bought stuff you ended up upgrading before you had a chance to use it? :)

Guilty.

I console myself in the knowledge that I'm not alone in this… And more importantly, as I upgrade my gear, I can always find a home for it with one of my Boy Scouts. Just re-purposed two more packs and two sleeping bags this week!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools