Topic

Cuben fishing waders

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben fishing waders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Boerner

@trrbgt

Hey all, this is my first post but I’ve been watching the site for a while now.

I was hoping to get some advice on making a pair of UL fishing waders. I’ve put together a great little fly-fishing kit that doesn’t take up too much space or weight too much, but it’s become clear I need a good pair of durable, waterproof pants for it to be perfect. So here are my thoughts on the project so far.
    The design will look something like these:
    Wiggy's Waders
    But will be a pair of waist high pants (probably based on one of Quest outfitter’s patterns) instead of individual “hippers”. And to protect to the bottom of waders, I’ve been thinking of just using a lightweight pair of paddle shoes to slip on over top of them.

As for the material I’ve been looking at using 1.4oz Cuben Fiber, but I’ve never worked with it before so I have a few questions.

Is this the best option (1.4oz Cuben) for durable, lightweight, waterproof? Or should I look elsewhere?

The best seams for clothing? Glue/tape or sew and seal? (I have sewing experience)

Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot,
    Tyler b.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Nice to hear from a fellow fly fisherman. What kind fly rod/reel setup do you use?

1.43oz cuben should be durable enough to last a few seasons depending on how many times you fish each year. It's pretty strong stuff. Make sure to protect the foot area though, that is where the greatest potential for a leak to develop will be. I would say just use standard felt or rubber sole boots but they aren't exactly lightweight. If I was making a pair I would bond w/ them Hysol personally. Good luck!

Ryan

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Not speaking with experience here so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I think you would have to use tape to achieve full waterproofness. Recently there was a thread in gear deals about the 3M tape (I forget the exact product number 9463pc or something) for $10 on eBay.

Then I would just use a simple pattern for a sock or something and extend the leg all the way up to your waist. Maybe you could use just one seam at the middle. Using tape might make the seam small enough that it won't be noticed underfoot.

I would also make them just as a slip on sock type without any kind of sole. You would then wear them over your socks but under your shoe. This way you would have full traction while minimizing seams that could potentially leak. Also you wouldn't have to worry about the cuben abrading. Finally, that would make them multi use as a VBL, rain chaps, or for snow/creek crossings.

I think there was a thread on this once before but I don't remember seeing the waders actually made. I believe the OP was Ike Mouser

EDIT: found that thread
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37849

ziff house

@mrultralite

its quite hard to get Cuben seams waterproof. its easier if you have it straight flat on a good surface, but generaly i have found it necesary to glue an extra strip over the seam with a lighter cuben. Water is a bugger, finds the smallest hole.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I don't think Cuben is waterproof "enough" to withstand wading and soaking in water especially with a current. I think Cuben would leak pretty badly in this scenario. Not to mention it would provide little to no insulation so why wouldn't you just use bare legs and quick drying shorts? Cuben would be like wearing a garbage sack. It wouldn't be very comfortable from a sweat or skin to fabric perspective.

The fabric that Wiggys is using is probably waterproof to 200+ PSI. PU coated fabric is easy to seam seal so you won't have leaks. You could probably reduce the weight of wiggys by using 70D fabric and seam taping it. Again you have to consider what wearing a pair of unbreathable PU coated pants is going to feel like. It might make you wish that you were in bare legs and shorts.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Funny you should start this topic, I too have recently been pondering how to bring waders for fly fishing without adding too much weight.

I was thinking though, instead of socks, etc. that you would carry in your pack, adding weight, and time to put them on/take them off.

How about designing a goretex/event shoe, that just has the goretex/event lining extend up to your hip? When not in use you could roll them down to the top of the boot and just hike like normal. Come to a stream crossing, or decide to do a little fishing at you lunch break, just un-strap/fold/etc. them from the top of your boot and pull them up to your crotch. They could be made loose to go over your pants and have a little shock cord draw string at the top to keep them in place, or even a little loop that would snap to you belt or belt loops of your pants/shorts?

Am I so off base with this idea? They already make waterproof goretex boots and trail runners. Would it be that difficult to just bring that liner out of the top of the boot? Of course, this idea is probably a little too involved for the average MYOG guy, but some of the more experience ones(especially with making shoes/sandals) might be able to pull it off.
    Or should I just try and find a willing shoe manufacturer to pitch the idea too?

Tyler Boerner

@trrbgt

Hey this is some great information guys, thanks a lot!

I think before I jump in, at least with Cuben, I should research a bit more into getting water tight seams and play around with some cheaper coated nylon. I definitely like the idea of keeping the design as simple, and with as few seams as possible. It's probably a must for getting any type of longevity or extended use out of the waders.

Really I just want the waders as an option for certain situation/waters. Currently I’m 'wet wading' with just some wool socks and a pair of paddle shoes, and that works fine most of the time. But if I’m fishing particularly cold water or right up until dusk, staying dry would make the trip so much more enjoyable.

The rod I use most is actually a 12' Tenkara. I don’t know if you've ever looked into Tenkara rods, but it’s a fantastically simple and light system. No reel, line, or backing is used, just a long woven monofilament leader and tippet. Anymore, I only pack in the usual rod/reel combo if headed up to a large lake.

albert barragan
    BPL Member

@comaone

Locale: PNW

I have so given up on waders!!! just made my tenkara purchase and last week was my first try at wader free!!! yup, I just walked right in fished and walked out, with trail runners all was well,

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Please make them like this:

Hammer Time

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Tyler – I'm not sure I speak for anyone else, but I will be looking for lightweight, but not UL, waders for BWCAW portages in cool weather. We sometimes have to wade up to our knees in some areas to pull the canoe through channels. Rocks, brush, and mud can be the order of the day. Cost is a big factor.

Tyler Sanford
    Spectator

@san39153

If you get this figured out, let me know. Very interested.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I would agree with the others who have concerns about the waterproofness of cuben. Even the heavier cuben styles seem to get pinholes at creases. They are serviceable for shelters and even seem to work for groundsheets, but for waders you might want something completely watertight.

The 30d heat-sealable ripstop nylon sold by Seattle Fabrics weighs about 3oz/square yard. The 30d Kookabay inflatable sleeping pads are made from this or a similar fabric. It is airtight and watertight.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools