Topic

I finally went crazy, are you happy now BPL?! My *SUL* base gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists I finally went crazy, are you happy now BPL?! My *SUL* base gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

I have been camping for my whole life, and seriously on my own as a hobby for the past 15 years. I think I might have learned more in the past few years than the other 13 years. I thought I was slick 3 years ago when I cut from over 30lbs to around 23lbs. Then I found this place plus some youtube vids that gave me new insights, and I cut down to 15lbs. Then I start thinking about the summer when it is warm, buy a summertime sleeping bag, and make my own UL backpack… and I cross a line I thought was impossible just a year ago: a sub 10lb gear list.

Well today I took a study break and packed by day-hike bag for a fishing trip tomorrow. Then things start to click. I have gone on a total of five overnight camping trips this year, and have been paying very close attention to what I use and what I don't use. Thing is, I am a pretty busy guy with fatherhood and university taking up most of my time. I can only go on one to two night trips for now. This means I don't have to worry as much as someone doing a thru-hike for a month. So I sat down and did some thinking and weighed some stuff and came up with my first sub-5lb SUL gear list. It will have to wait a few months for me to test it out, and I promise that I will!

So here she blows.

Duration: 24-48 hours
    Water purification: Boiling
    Fuel: Wood
    Solo or with friends, no matter.
    Average distance to be hiked: 15-20km

Weight in grams

Backpack 325 2nd hand corduroy cloth rucksack
    Sleeping bag 505 Synthetic sleeping bag, stuff sack
    Ground pad 211 Homemade plastic tarp w/space blanket
    Shelter 435 Homemade 2.5m x 2m plastic/space blanket tarp, rope
    Survival kit 100 Matches, bic, candle, string, whistle, plastic bag, duct tape
    First aid kit 105 Gauze roll/pads, sewing kit, safety pins, band aids,
    butterfly strips, Tylenol, medical tape, alcohol pads, tea
    bags, latex gloves
    Rain poncho 50 El cheapo plastic
    Cook kit 125 Snow Peak titanium 700, 2 tin foil lids, rag, sponge
    Cell phone 87
    Knife/sheath 143 Mora Bushcraft Forest
    Mess kit 35 Plastic spork and mug
    Water bottles 41 Platypus 1 liter, recycled plastic .5 liter
    Hygiene kit 37 Toothbrush/paste
    Hobo fishing kit 45 Tin can, line, bobber, hooks

BASE GEAR TOTAL — 2244 grams — 4.94 pounds

There is no soap because I found that I never used it, just washed up with spring/lake water, and I am fine with that.

There is no map or compass because I have explored several big patches of woods enough that I know them like the back of my hand.

Yes I have tested out the hobo fishing kit, yes it really works (and easier than I thought) and I really did catch fish with it before (mostly perch).

I welcome any questions, concerns, feedback, etc. Thanks! :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"are you happy now BPL?"

:)

More important is Cesar happy?

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Oh, I am very happy! Last weekend with food and water and my heavy winter bag (got down to around 1-2 degrees C at night) my bag was just barely over 7kg (15.4lbs). Very comfy and easy to hike, had a great time.

We'll see how happy I am after I test this gear list when it warms up. If it sucks, believe me, I will be sure to report that it does, and maybe stick to UL. The more I have been going out as of late, the more I think SUL or UL for warm weather is no problem, it's the rest of the year that is tricky, for me at least. For late fall to early spring, I go lightweight most of the time, around 12-14lbs base. I am very happy with this set up, but still have my mind open.

What I think has helped the most is being poor and forced to MYOG. But I doubt I will be able to do a sleeping bag, and UL bags sure are expensive.

EDIT: Forgot to add…Is Nick happy? :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

EDIT: Forgot to add…Is Nick happy? :)

Absolutely. So far I have awaken every day above ground :)

I have a great family, a job I love, good health, many places nearby to hike, and a fair amount of time to do every thing. Life is great!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools