Topic

I need a good rain jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a good rain jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

First off, thanks for all the great suggestions and experiences. I really want to stick with something eVent that will last me for a long time.

The Westcomb Specter LT arrived. Weighs exactly 12.0 oz. My initial impressions were that the construction quality is very high, made to last. But, I wear a medium in everything and this thing fits boxy and the helmet compatible hood is huge (but has great adjustments). It fits so big I can layer my Montbell Alpine Light Parka under it without compressing the down (which may not be a bad thing in winter…) Can anyone provide experience of Westcomb's fit? I think it is a little too baggy for an all-season shell.

Had the opportunity to try out a Rab Drillium in medium which had a more comfortable fit than the Westcomb. The stowable hood would be very useful and seems easier to use. The back end falls a little lower providing slightly more protection. Didn't get to weight it but I think they are about 13oz.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I have the Momentum and it is sweet! Deals really well with prickly scrub, breathable and stylish! I like the helmet compatible hood as I wear my hat inside it which opens it out well, giving good vision. The extra material on the hood is a little annoying and adds material though if you don't use it.

Two pockets, which I use (though one would probably be adequate). I also like the full zip, as I often use it as a layering piece and I can fully open up the chest between showers or when I get hot in the wind.

I am currently in the process of purchasing an o2 rain suit for on trail trips, but for all of my off track and alpine use I always go for the momentum.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Thanks for the info on the Momentum, good to see that Rab holds up. I keep coming back to the Drillium for the stowable hood after trying one.

Just curious, has anyone used the Stoic eVent shell from backcountry.com? How about the new Montane Specktr? The Speckr's fastening system seems crazy and the hood looks to leave a lot to be desired. But it's a 7.4oz eVent shell… In a way I am scared to get a shell with new stuff coming out in the fall but need one for some trips coming up this year.

How about this. Answer the following questions briefly:

1. What is your favorite eVent shell?
    2. Why did you pick it?
    3. What does it weigh?
    4. Is there anything you would rather use for days of sustained rain?

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"i wouldn't wait for anything from wild things' new line. they've been trying to launch it now for a year or two. i think they are a bit distracted with their military and law enforcement work."

Also distracted with selling huge amounts of retro-styled gear in Japan, at double US prices.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Ryan, in my experience Westcomb is true to size but a very athletic (trim) cut. Rather like Wild Things. I have a Backpackinglight.com Mirage SE, size XL, that fits me (6-4, 205, 45 inch chest) everywhere but the sleeves (mine are 36.5 in, so that's a rare fit). I also have an older edition Vapor (has a powder skirt and other skiing bells and whistles) that fits quite well. Both pieces are several years old but I've had similar comments from others. Cheers, Richard

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

westcomb has the same fit as dead bird IME … more or less

their shells are designed to layer over … i never found them anymore boxy than comparable OR, dead bird, etc …

however if you are used to those UL slim marmot micas or OR heliums, they might feel a tad large …

Eric Palumbo

@palumbo

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Check out the First Ascent (AKA Eddie Bauer) BC-200. Catch one of their sales and I think it's $ for $ one of the best deals around. Great jacket!

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I recently picked up one of the FA BC-200 jackets. Put it to use this past weekend on a quick 2 day hike…second day it rained the whole morning…approx. 5 Celsius (40F) and I hiked perhaps 13km (8 miles) wearing the jacket with just a light merino baselayer. I was very impressed with the jacket overall. I have a large-tall and it comes in at 11.6 ounces.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Thanks for the info about Westcomb sizing. Guess I may fall in between sizes.

I have seen the FA BC-200. For some reasons I have developed a phobia of certain big brand names but EB seems to me making some nice stuff. I am not sure if their 3 layer fabric is PU based or if it is a real WP/B membrane like eVent. The other part that concerns me is how well it would hold up over time.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

99% sure it's PU. The only other company I know of making something close to eVent is MontBell.

Eric Palumbo

@palumbo

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I had similar reservations regarding the BC-200. I'm pretty sure it's more GoreTex-like than PU based. The interior layer feels like nice fabric, very similar to the inside of the Rab Jacket I'm trying to sell on the Swap. It's rated 20K/25K and it's quite comfortable right against the skin.

As far as durability, it comes with the Eddie Bauer "Unconditional Guarantee" so I'll give it a shot. CT thru-hike this year should be a good test.

Pic in the rain/sleet/snow…. wet

Wet Walk

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Just looking at the marketing numbers for the BC-200…the waterproofness and breathability look solid: 20K/25K.

I was definitely impressed with the breathability as compared to my existing jacket which was using Entrant DT fabric (10k/8k)…very noticeable difference.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

My concern with PU based rain gear is that once the DWR is gone, water may overload the coating and start wetting through. This does not appear to be an issue with membranes such as eVent from what I understand, they just get saturated and stop breathing without letting rain through. I would rather have no breathability and no water coming in than water seeping in (Some guys recommend HH Impertech for places like Alaska).

I would agree with most that a light shell such as the Marmot Mica or OR Helium are great as long as there is an opportunity to renew the DWR often.

My fear is that some of these newer "imitation" jackets would be inferior in the long run for climates like southern Alaska (the reason I am getting a new jacket) and sustained wet sections on long thru-hikes. This is why I am considering something higher in quality, such as eVent, that will serve me well for a long time. I would consider something like Gore Tex Paclite since it is proven but may as well get the eVent if I'm spending that much. My goal with this thread is to try and find a good overall solution (and input has been great thus far).

I know that everything will be soggy after days of rain. Nothing can stop that. This is where lightweight fleece comes in handy.

Is my thought process correct or is there a chunk I'm missing?

jim jessop

@luckyjim

Try an OMM Cypher Event smock or jacket. Better hood than the Rab Demand but still wired.

For weight the smock version is best at 8.5 oz or the jacket at 10 oz.

http://www.rockrun.com/products/OMM-Cypher-Smock-.html

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ryan … then i suggest an OR jacket with a torsion flow system and goretex …

basically its pit zips that go all the way to the hem and are dual zippers so you can open it up like a poncho to your armpits … it also allows you to stuff your hands in yr fleece/puffy pockets or belay under the shell … with the dual zipper you can ventilate at will

for a cheaper solution OR makes a non breathable jacket with the same solution that should last through any bushwack … the fabric aint breathable but the ventilation cant be beat, no need to worry about DWR

it aint the lightest thing … but it is the best ventilated rain jacket on the market

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

So Eric you are suggesting something like the OR Foray in Gore Tex Paclite (15.7oz) or the uberexpensive mountaineering OR Mentor (17.2oz)? A friend of mine was considering the Foray for our Alaska trip. At least OR has an infinite guarantee.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

yeah … when it wets out you can still ventilate it very well ….

i have and use an OR revel … the pertex DS version … i dont use a windshirt when i wear it as i just unzip the sides all the way … and look like one of the three musketeers wearing a tabard …

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Hi Ryan,

Have you settled on a rain jacket yet?

I am also looking into purchasing a Rab Demand, but I am wondering how the sizing compares with Arcteryx jackets (Arc jackets are my optimum fit).

I am looking for a lighter "summer" rain jacket that can handle warm and rainy (Japan) and cool and rainy (PNW) environments.

Thanks…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'm testing a Spektr, and have been able to get it out in some rather unpleasent mixed snow/rain, as well as packrafting in the rain.

It's super bomber for such a light shell. I'm very impressed with the fabric. The cut is great, slim with a very long torso and arms, and room for climber shoulders. The tornado closure is a bit odd, but works pretty well. The hood is actually pretty good, minus a brim it's got everything you'd ever want (if you don't need to put a helmet under it.

I like it.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Re: Montane Spektr, I like the specs. How does that Tornado closure work? Does it keep out sideways rain?

How small does it pack down to? About the size of a can of Coke?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Hard to describe. You get 1/2" of velcro on each side, a 180 turn, a 1 1/2" of fabric then the split with each side going its separate way. Like a dry bag. It is at least as weatherproof as a zip, just not as easy/fast to use, especially with one hand.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Does it allow for partial "unzipping", or is it all or nothing?

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

@ Chris: I decided to keep the Westcomb Specter LT. Mine weighs about 12oz in medium. It has not been used in very much weather yet but is much more breathable than any other jacket I have owned. The fit is a little different than I am used to but is good for layering. The helmet compatible hood will come in handy if I ever get into technical climbing or mountaineering.

My lighter jacket for mild conditions is a 7oz Marmot Mica.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

The velcro and weird little shock cord and hook things allow for three levels of openness. Quite enough, really.

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I've stumbled across this thread a little late, but it's an excellent thread!

Ryan, it's been a few months, and I'm wondering how your Westcomb Specter LT has performed. Did it meet all your expectations?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools