Topic

Which RW quilt do I need?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which RW quilt do I need?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chiappini

@juggles

Locale: NJ/NYC

I'm looking to make a Ray-Way quilt for Spring, Summer, Fall use in the Adirondacks, NY and Colorado during Summer (camping low @ or near trail heads of 14er's). I've got a 2,200 RW pack. I don't know which road to go down…

*please note I'm a sewer & familiar with thru-hiker.com

2 layers of Woodland – .75" for 40 degrees

or

1 layer of Woodland – .75" for 70 degrees + a thru-hiker.com vest? or jacket?

or

1 layer of Alpine – .90" for 60 degrees + a thru-hiker.com vest? or jacket?

Right now I've got a RW 2-Layer Alpine for 28 degrees and it's huge when compressed, IMO.

Thanks!

*I've tried searching this question on BPL & I'm assuming YOU will say I should email the Jardine's with it. I value the BPL community and I think your thoughts and opinions will help me. And I thank you.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I don't know much about the RW quilts. Have you considered using climashield from thruhiker. Seems like you can avoid the quilting loops (easier construction), is more compressible, and pretty lightweight for the warmth. Seems like a general guideline is the 2.5oz climashield should be good to 45-50deg.

MLD makes their spirit quilts with climashield, and I think Paul at arrowheadequipment uses climashield as well.

It seems a lot of people prefer climashield. I have no direct experience with climashield…yet.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

+1 for the climashield thought. I actually am in the process of planning a JRD Stealth type quilt out of it for a hike in NC and VA on the AT this summer. I'm not sure what weather you have up there, but I enjoy having something rated to 40's even here in Georgia. I am fairly certain thru-hiker claims it to be .6". I have the insulation here, but I haven't checked the height of it or the weight yet.

Christopher Chiappini

@juggles

Locale: NJ/NYC

OK, thanks a bunch Chris & Chris! Wow!… you can read for hours on BPL if you search "climashield." Looks like I'll be doing business with AYCE soon.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Let us know what you decide on, and pictures please when you are done.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools