Topic

Black Flies – North East – Where is there NOT a blackfly problem in May?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Black Flies – North East – Where is there NOT a blackfly problem in May?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Barry Pollock

@barry1492

Locale: Media

So it looks like I've been talked out of my Adirondak trip due to black flies. So, where can I go? I live in Philly and plan on doing 3 days in May with dogs.

I'm thinking George Washington National Forest in VA. Are there other possibilities? Monongahela in WV? Will Pennsylvania have a black fly problem?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Likely, but I have only been there in summer and in fall. Hard to say. I would guess they would show up a bit earlier in water areas…hmmm….yes, they also run the largest suppresion program in the US.
    (Refering to PA.)

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Catskills? I've been up there in May and don't recall a black fly problem. In my experience, I've never had black fly issues in the Mid-Atlantic – at least nothing that ruined a trip. I'd be more concerned with ticks that time of year than anything else.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

You shouldn't have black fly problems in VA, WV, or PA in May — though I would caution that ticks begin coming out in great numbers.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never had the blackflies be so bad in May that they've ruined a trip for me. They're annoying, but nothing that can't be combated relatively easily. I've always found June to be the worst in the northeast, but still… they've never stopped me from going outside entirely.

I wouldn't let the naysayers talk you out of a trip you really want to do, just because some bugs will eat you. That said, I'll probably go for a walk next month and be eaten alive.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I agree with Ryan. Don't let the little suckers keep you out of the woods. A good headnet, shell jacket, shell pants and you are good to go. Dogs on the other hand are harder to protect. You might want to let them sit this one out.

black fliy bites

Black fly bites on a dog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools